Sara Brown, MS, ATC
Sara Brown, MS, ATC
- AT/HP 504 Clinical Athletic Training III
- AT 672 Patient-Oriented Evidence for Athletic Trainers
- HP 515 Education Practicum
Scholarly and Practice Interests
Include best practice in education and outcomes-related research; practice interests include implementing sports medicine services in the Boston Public Schools.
- Education Update, Athletic Training Regulatory Conference, Omaha, NE (2011) Integrating Outcomes in Education, NATA Annual Conference & Symposium, New Orleans, LA (2011)
- Knee Injuries: When to Play, When to Rest, When to Refer (with Alysia Green). Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Physician, Boston, MA, September 2010.
- Delivering College/University Athletic Training Services in a Health Care Model (with Matthew Pecci and Charlie Thompson). NATA Annual Conference & Symposium, Philadelphia, PA, June 2010.
- Update on Athletic Training Education. NATA Annual Conference & Symposium, Philadelphia, PA, June 2010
- The Future of Athletic Training Education. University of Oregon Athletic Training Symposium, Eugene, OR (2010)
- The Use of Athletic Tape in the United States. Johnson & Johnson Manufacturing Plant, São Paulo, Brazil (2010)
- The State of Athletic Training Education. Athletic Training Regulatory Conference, Omaha, NE (2009) S.D. Brown, p. 7 (October, 11)
- Evidence Based Practice for Clinical Practice Education: A Study Investigating the Effectiveness of a Single-Day Workshop. Athletic Training Educators’ Conference, Washington DC, 2009. (with Bonnie VanLunen, PhD, ATC)
- Strategies to Maximize Program Evaluation. Athletic Training Educators’ Conference, Washington DC, 2009.
- Starkey CA, Brown SD, Ryan J. Examination and Diagnosis of Orthopedic Injuries. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 2010.
- Starkey CA, Brown SD, Ryan J. Examination and Diagnosis of Orthopedic Injuries Handbook. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 2010.
- Breitbach A, Brown SD. The institutional and professional benefits of housing athletic training education programs in schools of health professions. Journal of Allied Health, 2011.
- Brown, SD, Strategies to Maximize Program Evaluation. Athletic Training Educators Conference Proceedings, Washington D.C., 2009.
- Brown SD, Laursen RM. ACI Education: More Than a Workshop. Athletic Training Educators’ Conference Proceedings, Dallas, TX, 2007.
- Chairperson, Executive Committee for Education of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (June 2009-present)
- President, Board of Certification (2005 – 2007); board member (2000 – 2008)
- Member, Strategic Implementation Team of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (January 2009 – 2011)
- Site visitor, Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (1995 – present)
- Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer Award, National Athletic Trainer’s Association (NATA), (2014)
- Research and Education Foundation, Grass Roots Initiative Award (with Gail Samdperil) (2009)
- Athletic Trainer of the Year, Massachusetts (2008)
- Award of Merit, College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College (1997, 2000)
- Whitney R. Powers Award for Teaching Excellence, BU College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College (2000)
Licenses and Certifications
- BOC certification (1985-present)
- MA licensed athletic trainer