- Education:Bachelor of Science, Miami University, 1984
Master of Science, University of Arizona, 1985
Scholarly, Research, and/or Practice Interests
- Include best practice in education and outcomes-related research; practice interests include implementing athletic healthcare services in secondary schools.
- Clinical Reasoning Capstone
- Connecting Evidence to Practice
- Connecting Policy to Practice
- Patient-Oriented Evidence for Athletic Trainers
- Clinical Athletic Training III
- Starkey CA, Brown SD. Examination and Diagnosis of Orthopedic Injuries, 4th. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 2015
- Starkey CA, Brown, SD. Orthopedic and Athletic Injury Examination Handbook, 3rd. Philadelphia: FA Davis, 2015.
- Brown S. Development and delivery of intervention strategies. In Starkey C. Therapeutic Modalities, 4th, Philadelphia: FA Davis, 2013.
- Education Drives Practice. Doctor of Athletic Training Winter Institute. Phoenix, AZ (February 2018)
- Accreditation Standards for Graduate Level Professional Education in Athletic Training. Commission on Accreditation in Athletic Training Conference. Tampa, FL (October 2017)
- Top Ten Outcome Measures You Can Use Today. Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association. Philadelphia, PA (January 2017)
- Beyond a Diagnosis. (National Athletic Trainers’ Association Meeting & Clinical Symposium, Baltimore, MD (June 2016)
- Using PowerPoint for Pedagogical Good (with Andy Winterstein). Athletic Training Educators’ Conference, Dallas, TX (February 2015)
- Is Icing Worth It? Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association Meeting & Clinical Symposium, Philadelphia, PA (January 2015)
- Sayers “Bud” Miller Award Selection Group
- Co-organizer, Clinical Education Summit (sponsored by Boston University)
- Founding Member, Athletic Training Clinical Education Research Network
- Inaugural Chair, Standards Committee, Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- Nominating Committee, Board of Certification
- CAATE Site Visitor
- Athletic Trainer Volunteer, Finish Line, Boston Marathon
- Bob and Lynn Carruthers Service Award, Commission on Accreditation in Athletic Training Education (2017)
- Sayers “Bud” Miller Distinguished Educator Award, National Athletic Trainers’ Association (2015)
- Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer Award, National Athletic Trainers’ Association, (2014)
- Paul Grace Leadership Award, Board of Certification (2013)
- Outstanding Research Manuscript Award, Journal of Athletic Training Education (2012).
- Welch C, Van Lunen B, Walker SE, Manspeaker SA, Hankemeier DA, Brown SD, Laursen M, Onate JA. Athletic training educators’ knowledge, comfort, and perceived importance of evidence-based practice. Athletic Training Education Journal, 6(1); 5 – 14, 2011.
- New Initiative Service Award (with Gail Samdperil) Research and Education Foundation (2009)
- Athletic Trainer of the Year, Massachusetts (2008)
- Award of Merit, BU College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College (1997, 2000)
- Whitney R. Powers Award for Teaching Excellence, BU College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College (2000)
- Award of Merit, BU College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College (1997)
- Dan Libera Service Award (BOC) (1996)
Licenses and Certifications
- BOC certification (1985-present)
- MA licensed athletic trainer
View all profiles