Program Learning Outcomes Assessment
Program Learning Outcomes Assessment at Boston University provides faculty a means to ask a fundamental question about the programs they design and teach: by completing a given set of courses and other requirements, do students actually acquire, in the end, the particular knowledge, skills, habits of mind, and attitudes faculty intend? If not—or if not fully enough—what pedagogical and curricular reforms can be undertaken to improve student learning? A similar question can be asked of the co-curricular and extra-curricular programs that contribute so significantly to a well-rounded education at BU.
Program Learning Outcomes Assessment at Boston University is overseen by the Council of Deans. It is coordinated and facilitated by the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs and the Associate Provost for Graduate Affairs. University Working Committees, comprised of representatives from the Schools and Colleges, meet regularly with the Associate Provosts to share information and best practices, and to coordinate the University’s effort.
Gillian Pierce, Director of Learning Assessment
Gillian Pierce is Director of Learning Assessment in the Office of the Provost. She coordinates the University’s learning outcomes efforts and provide support to faculty, staff, departments, Schools and Colleges in developing simple and effective strategies to assess student learning in face-to-face, blended and online programs, and in co-curricular and extra-curricular programs. Learn more about the Director of Learning Assessment.
Contact Gillian at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To set up an appointment with Gillian Pierce, Director of Learning Assessment, to discuss your department’s annual report and assessment progress, please contact Kelly Connors, Administrative Coordinator, at email@example.com or 353-6850.
REMINDER: The Annual Report on Program Learning Outcomes Assessment is due every year on November 15.
- Assessment Annual Report Template
- Every certificate and degree program must fill out a separate Annual Report document.
- All reports are due as Word Docs via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Director of Learning Assessment, Gillian Pierce, reviews the Annual Reports on Program Learning Outcomes Assessment based on the BU Office of the Provost Rubric for Assessing PLOA Annual Reports.