The reserve collection consists of material selected by faculty and other instructional staff for the use of students enrolled in their classes. It includes books and journal articles, as well as lecture notes, problem sets, sample exams, and other course handouts.
Reserve items are shelved behind the circulation desk and circulate for loan periods of two hours in the library, twenty four hours, or three days. Two-hour reserve items owned by the library are also available for overnight checkout within two hours of closing. Because of heavy demand for this material, reserve loans cannot be renewed and the charges for their late return or replacement accrue at a higher rate than other types of loans.
Find Course Reserve Items
- Use the new Course Reserves search view in BU Libraries Search and search by course number or other information.
Reserve Request Form
- Faculty are welcome to place books, articles and other readings on reserve for students using this Reserve Request Form, which will allow you to indicate your preferred library location.
Faculty Request Guidelines
Requests to place material on reserve can be submitted
- using the online Reserve Request Form
- emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- to the Circulation Desk using a paper (printable copy) Reserve Request Form
Please submit a separate form for each course. If multiples of photocopied material are needed, please include them with the form since the Library does not make copies. Keep in mind that extra time will be needed for the purchase of a book not owned by the library (6-8 weeks) or recall of a book checked out to another borrower (2-3 weeks). Otherwise, new reserve material will be available for student use within 48 hours.
Statistics on the frequency of use of reserve material can be provided to faculty at any time during the semester upon request. At semester’s end all personal copies are returned via interdepartmental mail to their owners. Items designated for multiple semesters or “permanent reserve” are reviewed for retention every two years.
Please e-mail email@example.com with any questions or contact Saraphine Goodwin, Circulation Supervisor, at (617) 353-3733.