About BU Libraries Search
The search box on most library web pages searches the quality academic material provided by the BU Libraries, including print books and ebooks, print journals and ejournals, video and audio recordings, databases, and online articles. It also searches a carefully selected set of scholarly resources from across the web.
- What Is in BU Libraries Search gives more details.
- What Is Not in BU Libraries Search tells what is not covered and describes other ways to search for this “missing” material.
By default, the search box performs a search in BU Libraries. However, the Search In drop-down menu in the search box can be used to instead search in Guides or the BU Libraries Website.
- Guides—This will search the Library Guides, giving tips on research for particular topics or courses.
- Website only—This will search the library website (but not the books, journals, etc.).
- Use quotes to search for a phrase:
will find results with “global” and “warming” anywhere
will only find results in which “global warming” appears as a phrase. For more ways to control the search, see Power Searching.
- Find ebooks on a subject by choosing “EBooks” under Refine My Results. The same approach works for finding print books, journal articles, recent items, and other item types: do the search, then refine the results. See Refining Search Results for more details.
- Use Advanced Search to construct more complex searches and to search specialized subject collections. More in Advanced Search.
- Email or print results, or send them to RefWorks. See Working with Search Results for details.
- Click on star icon to add item to e-Shelf. Then Sign In to save the e-shelf or a query, and set up alerts or RSS feeds. More in Saving Searches and Results.