An Access Group is a set of individuals who have been given permission to access your WordPress site. Entire BU community is a default option, and simply means anyone with a valid BU login can get access.
You can also create custom Access Groups where you determine who has access based on characteristics of their University status.
To create a custom Access Group, log in to your WordPress Admin Panel, and select Access, then Manage Groups.
To create a new group, click the Add a Group button on the left-hand side of the screen.
To create a group, provide a name and description:
- Group Name – The name should say what group of people you’re allowing (or disallowing) access to.
- Description – The description will be shown to the visitor when attempting to log in. Be sure to be descriptive of what data they’re trying to access.
NOTE: You cannot create overlap populations. Everything you select is included – distinct from other selections. So for instance, if you choose both “Status: Student” and “College: COM” that DOES NOT create a group for COM students; it creates a group that gives access to all students or all COM affiliates.
Simple configurations work best. If you need a group that consists of overlapping characteristics, maintaining a list of individuals with access is the best option.
- Status – Limit by simple, big-bucket affiliations of student, faculty, or staff (and some sub-groups).
- Schools, Colleges, Departments – Limit by school, college or department affiliation. Use the drop-down menu to select a school or college. The department field will automatically search available departments as you type. Some source information is updated periodically (not in real time).
- Class Code – Limit access to students enrolled in a specific class. See the additional link in the sidebar on how to determine a class code.
- Individuals – Limit by individuals with BU usernames. Always the most reliable option. Includes a directory search option.
- Network Location – Limit access to only people on a specific campus (Charles River, Medical Campus, Boston Medical Center.) Does not support Wheelock Campus. Some source information is updated periodically (not in real time).
Once you’ve selected the criteria for protection click the Save Group button.
There is no limit to the number of Access Groups you can have.