Frequently Asked Questions


How Do I make my payment?

The preferred method of payment is electronic, please visit the ECSI website. If you prefer to mail a check, please send it to:  Heartland, ECSI, PO Box 1287, Moon Township, PA 15108.  The mailing address for Boston University Student Loan Accounting is:  881 Commonwealth Avenue, 4th Floor, Boston, MA   02215.  If you would like to make a payment using Pay by Phone, please call 1-888-549-3274.  Please note, there is a fee for using this service.

How do I change my address?

You may change your address by contacting us by phone, e-mail, fax, or in writing, or visit To obtain the appropriate address or number, please see our Contact Us page.

How do I know if I am eligible to defer and/or cancel my loans?

There are many different types of deferments you may be entitled to. For a complete list of available deferments and their requirements, please see our Federal Loan Facts page.

I would like to pay off my loan. What is the process?

You must call our office at 617-353-2340, during regular business hours, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (Monday–Friday). We will need to know the date you anticipate paying the balance of your loan in full. This is necessary because we need to calculate the accruing daily interest and project your payoff balance. To submit your information via the Web, please fill in our online form. You may also go to and follow the instructions given.

I am considering consolidation, can I include my Perkins Loan?

You may visit for answers to consolidation questions. Please be aware that once you consolidate your Federal Perkins Loan, you may lose your deferment and cancellation provisions. If you are eligible for cancellation (see cancellation criteria on the Federal Loan Facts page), do not include your Boston University Federal Perkins Loan in with your consolidation.

My name has legally changed. How do I change it on my loan account?

You must send us a copy of the legal document (i.e., marriage certificate or other) that affected your name change.

What is a Federal Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note?

The Federal Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) .is a Promissory note that was issued to allow for multiple advances issued in semesters during your attendance at Boston University for which you were eligible under the Federal Perkins Loan Program, not to exceed the maximum allowable under the Higher Education Act. (Click here to view an example of the master promissory note)

I have received notification that my loan has been transferred to the Boston University Collection Department. What do I do?

You must contact the Collection Department directly at Boston University Collection Department, 881 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215. You can also call 617-353-4100 or e-mail