BU has built a robust support system for both internal and external funding opportunities, making it simple to customize your search and save time and mental energy.
We suggest you make COS Pivot your first stop. Pivot compiles a wide variety of federal, non-federal, foundation, corporate, and private funding opportunities for any discipline.
Grant Forward (formerly Illinois Researcher Information Service or IRIS) is another portal for searching and saving funding opportunities. While Boston University does not have a subscription to the full Grant Forward service package, they do offer a 14 day free trial for interested users. The search function, however, is open to the public.
A lot of BU’s sponsored funding comes from federal agencies. Reach out to BU’s Federal Relations office to learn more.
Large Funding Opportunities
Flagship funding opportunities across federal agencies (Updated April 2022; Kerberos log-in required)
Grants.gov combines funding opportunities for 26 federal grant making agencies and over 1,000 funding opportunities. It is equipped with search functions, relevant forms and documents, and easy access to program officers. Both Boston University Charles River Campus and Medical Campus have unique DUNS numbers registered through grants.gov.
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Guide
National Science Foundation (NSF) Guide to Programs
The NSF Guide to Programs lists funding opportunities by research area, investigator eligibility, date of posting, due dates, and other filters. This site is specific only to National Science Foundation funding opportunities.
Additional Sources of Federal Funding
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
Department of Defense (DOD)
Department of Education (ED)
Department of Energy (DOE)
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Department of Justice (DOJ)
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
National Science Foundation (NSF)
Office of Naval Research (ONR)
United States Army Research Laboratory
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
US Geological Survey (USGS)
- Foundation Relations exists to help members of the BU community secure foundation support for their research, teaching, and outreach projects.
- Candid (formerly the Foundation Center) maintains a comprehensive database on US and, increasingly, global grantmakers and their grants — a robust, accessible knowledge bank for the sector. It also operates research, education, and training programs designed to advance knowledge of philanthropy at every level.
Institutionally Limited Opportunities
Limited submissions are funding opportunities which limit the number of applications or nominations an institution may put forward.Learn More
BU Opportunities & Listings
Internal Listings & Resources
- Research Support Funding Feed – new limited submissions, RFPs, and more
- Annual Award Opportunities
- Funding to Bring Ideas to Market
- Materials from Office of Research Events on Funding
- BUMC Research Grant Opportunities