Online Corporate Finance Graduate Certificate
Available online or on campus, the online Graduate Certificate in Corporate Finance at Boston University’s Metropolitan College is designed for students and/or professionals currently working in, or seeking a career in, the corporate finance field. The curriculum provides a concise set of essential skills for understanding modern corporations, ensuring that students receive a strong foundation in corporate financial theory and acquire the quantitative skills needed to understand the process behind financial decision-making by corporations. After completing the certificate, students will be prepared for positions in areas such as budgeting, project evaluation, international financing, and short-term investing of corporate funds.
The field of corporate finance is regarded as one of the most competitive fields within finance. This certificate program will enable students to acquire the foundational knowledge and tools needed for corporate financial analysis and capital budgeting. This professional graduate certificate offers a unique opportunity to develop students’ analytical skills and critical thinking abilities through hands-on coursework and real-world case studies.
Students who complete the Graduate Certificate in Corporate Finance will be able to demonstrate:
- The ability to analyze financial statements and financial models.
- Skill in performing discounted cash flow analysis and valuation.
- Expertise in calculating net present values and internal rates of return.
- Understanding of investment rules and the ability to make capital investment decisions.
- Proficiency in risk analysis and capital budgeting.
- Understanding of the capital structure of the firm.
- The ability to use econometric methods to analyze financial data.
- The knowledge to analyze industry trends, regulations, and finance system participants.
- Comprehension of the significance and importance of ethical behavior in all aspects of business.
- The capacity to investigate and analyze how changing regulatory environment in the U.S. and abroad impacts finance.
Why Choose BU’s Graduate Certificate in Corporate Finance?
- Boston University certificate programs comprise just four courses (16 credits) and provide essential skills and capabilities in high-growth industry areas. Certificate programs also provide a pathway to Metropolitan College management degree programs.
- The Corporate Finance certificate program offers the flexibility of online, on-campus, or blended study formats, ensuring that students can earn their credential the way that suits them the best.
- Learning from expert faculty from MET’s Department of Administrative Sciences, students will gain the insights, critical thinking, and analytical skills needed to solve problems in today’s changing business landscape.
- Online certificate programs share courses and instructors with MET’s master’s degree programs in management, ranked among the nation’s Best Online Graduate Business Programs (Excluding MBAs) by U.S. News & World Report in 2017.
7% increase in jobs through 2024
$117,990 median annual pay in 2015
6% increase in jobs through 2024
$99,180 median annual pay in 2015
12% increase in jobs through 2024
$80,310 median annual pay in 2015
10% increase in jobs through 2024
$78,010 median annual pay in 2015
Securities, Commodities, and Financial Services Sales Agents
10% increase in jobs through 2024
$71,550 median annual pay in 2015
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition
Boston University Metropolitan College (MET) offers competitive tuition rates that meet the needs of part-time students seeking an affordable education. These rates are substantially lower than those of the traditional, full-time residential programs yet provide access to the same high-quality BU education. To learn more about current tuition rates, visit the MET website.
Comprehensive financial assistance services are available at MET, including graduate assistantships (up to $4,200 per semester), scholarships, graduate loans, and payment plans. There is no cost to apply for financial assistance, and you may qualify for a student loan regardless of your income. Learn more.
Boston University’s online Graduate Certificate in Corporate Finance consists of four required courses (16 credits).
(Four courses/16 credits)
METAD630 Financial and Managerial Accounting
Introduction to the concepts, methods, and problems of financial and managerial accounting. Includes data accumulation, accounting principles, financial statement analysis, measurement and disclosure issues, cost analysis, budgeting and control, production costs, and standard costs. [4 credits]
METAD678 Financial Regulation and Ethics
Financial Regulation and Ethics is a course designed to thoroughly review the important topics of financial regulations, policies, and ethics. The course will explore an overview of the financial systems, their history, problems, and issues for the purpose of understanding the enactment of regulations as a method to protect the financial systems and investors. Also, regulators and their authority will be identified, both domestically and internationally.
Ethics, an extremely important aspect of finance will be discussed and explored. Ethics is a difficult topic to define and can be impacted by social norms. During the ethics portion of the course, students will study where ethics have failed and caused major issues for the financial marketplace and individual companies. [4 credits]
METAD685 Quantitative Methods for Finance
Finance is a highly competitive and dynamic industry that demands quantitative oriented professionals. This course will equip students with the empirical techniques which are used in the analysis of financial markets with a strong focus on financial applications using actual data.
The goal of this course is to provide students with a number of econometric techniques which are used in the analysis of financial markets based on asset pricing and corporate finance models. In particular, the emphasis will be on classical linear regression models, time series analysis, and limited dependent variable models applied to the following topics: predictability of asset returns; event study analysis; econometric tests of the CAPM and multifactor models; volatility modelling, etc. [4 credits]
METAD731 Corporate Finance
Emphasizes issues of accounting, finance, and economics that are important in most management contexts. Stresses understanding financial statements, planning and control, cost and benefit evaluation, cash flow analysis, and capital budgeting. [4 credits]
To learn more or to contact an enrollment advisor before you get started, request information using the button below and tell us a little about yourself. Someone will be in touch to answer any questions you may have about the program and detail the next steps in earning your degree. You can also start your application or register for a course at Metropolitan College.