BU London operates a 24 hour a day on-call system.
The emergency procedure is as follows:
Every student has an ID card with the BU London Emergency on call number (0777 5566 392). Alternatively, the staff at the Crofton front desk will call.
- BU London emergency mobile number (1st line response) who then escalates to
- Staff on call (2nd line response) who then escalates to
- BU London Director (3rd line response)
At this point the Emergency Committee in London will either be called together or informed of the situation. Staff will also be contacted in Boston.
To ensure all students understand safety and security information they are required to attend a variety of on-site orientations on arrival in London. These sessions include:
Health and safety
Medical and health issues
UK law overview from a Metropolitan police officer
Communication in emergencies
- Emergency services: 999 (UK) Europe 112.
- The BU London emergency number: 0777 55 66 392
- Courtfield Private Practice (Doctor): 020 7373 3541
- BU London office number: 0207 244 6255
- GeoBlue: 001 610 254 87771 or within the US 800 257 4823 (calling from outside of the USA, collect calls accepted)
- BUSA 001 617 353 9888
- US Embassy in London 020 7499 9000.
- BU Police: 001 617 353 2121
In the event of a major emergency BU London staff will send out an text and email to all students. Students must reply to confirm if they are safe. Further instructions will follow.
Students who do not reply will be followed up by a telephone call to:
- Student mobile (cellphone) and/or
- Landline and/or supervisor if at internship
- Physically checking residence if in London
- Ringing hotel/hostel if overseas
- If no success asking friends/roommates/classmates
In the case of a major emergency we will have to rely on information available to us from the Police and emergency services. Our procedures will have to follow their instructions. Staff will monitor reliable tv and internet reports.
If the internet is not usable BU London has two emergency telephone landlines:
020 7373 7996
020 7373 9430
If Harrington Gardens cannot be accessed because of closure by the emergency services, staff will manage the situation from The Crofton.
If a student residence has to be evacuated students will be brought to Harrington Gardens and if The Crofton is closed the students will be spread between Harrington Gardens and the other residences. If overnight accommodation is required local hotels will be contacted and emergency bedding provided.
Fire drills are held in all buildings the morning after main arrivals and the first day of each class schedule.
If a fire alarm sounds all students must evacuate the buildings and follow instructions to gather at a muster point where attendance will be taken. Fire extinguishers are on all floors in every building. The emergency number for fire is 999.
BU London has a comprehensive emergency Manual covering many types of emergency and problem. Staff have been trained on using the manual using simulated emergency scenarios.
Personal emergency (illness, injury, passport etc)
If you or anyone you live/travel with has a medical emergency, loses a passport, or is a victim of crime please follow these instructions:
- If the medical emergency is critical (or you need to contact the Police or Fire Brigade) phone the emergency services 999 (UK) 112 (Europe). Tell them which service (i.e. ambulance, fire, police) you require. You will be asked for your location and a brief description of the issue at hand. Note that in the UK there is no charge for an ambulance.
- The next step is to ring the BU London Emergency number (0777 55 66 392) on your ID card and report what has happened. The RLS On Call will report to a member of staff who will take appropriate action. You can also report in to the security desk at The Crofton.
If your medical emergency is severe, for example, you are travelling abroad at the weekend and become seriously ill or injured and you require medical attention, you can contact GeoBlue. They will be able to provide you with local medical information with facilities where English is spoken.
You must print out your GeoBlue ID card before you arrive for the semester. This ID card will state your certificate/policy number, which you will need when calling GeoBlue
To contact GeoBlue
Emergency Number (24/7): +1 (610) 254 8771 (calling from outside of the USA, collect calls accepted)
Lost or stolen passport
You must report this through RLS On Call immediately and to the local police and get a police report. In London you must be in touch with the US Embassy in London 020 7499 9000.
If you have a Student Visa this will need to be replaced, you must contact the Student Affairs office ASAP.