Learn about this edtech tool designed for creating and distributing surveys.
What is Qualtrics?
Qualtrics is a tool used for creating and distributing surveys. It is particularly effective for gathering qualitative research. Qualtrics allows users to create surveys online, collaborate in real time, distribute surveys, analyze the results, and export data in multiple formats.
Who Can Use It?
Qualtrics Research Suite is available to all current Boston University students, faculty, staff and those with a sponsored Guest account.
Ways to Use Qualtrics in the Classroom
- Use a mid-semester survey to gauge students’ satisfaction with classroom practices such as quizzing, tutoring, supplemental resources, and assignment structures.
- Give students a diagnostic quiz when they begin a course
- Identify key factors of student engagement that improve their experiences in learning contexts, like assignment formats or assessment practices.
- Give students a helpful tool with which to gather qualitative research for class projects.
- Access 100+ surveys and question types through the Qualtrics Library
- Design survey flow with Branch Logic, Display Logic, and Skip Logic functions
- Take advantage of real-time collaboration opportunities
- Create surveys with embedded video, audio, and graphics
- Send and track participation invitations
- Choose from Boston University-approved templates, fonts, and colors
- Utilize polls and website feedback tools
- Post multiple surveys simultaneously and in multiple languages
- Export data directly to SPSS, CSV, PDF, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Approved for restricted use data (including HIPAA)
Skip logic and display logic programming are available through Qualtrics. In other words, users can program their survey to change the line of questioning based on the responses.
Qualtrics runs advanced statistics to identify underlying trends in all forms of data.
Qualtrics can extrapolate data from social media and websites, extracting both general attitudes and hard data about online interactions.
Qualtrics has many, many options for question formats, and they are organized clearly with visual models so that users can easily see which format works best for their purposes.
Qualtrics is user-friendly and easy to adopt, but it is also very complex. Individuals can use Qualtrics to the level of complexity that they are comfortable with.
Technology Support for Qualtrics
IS&T offers Qualtrics trainings and online resources via TechWeb.
Teaching Guides & Resources
Email the Center for Teaching & Learning and schedule an appointment today firstname.lastname@example.org.