Welcome to the Chemistry Department placement exam for the CH109 and CH111 courses. Students interested in registering for CH109 or CH111 are required to complete this placement test before they register. Students who are interested in CH101, CH171, or CH131, are not required to take this exam.
Please note the following important instructions:
- The placement exam will only allow students to take the test one time. Do not start the exam until you are ready to complete it. After you hit submit the first time, the form will no longer process new submissions for you.
- The exam duration is roughly 1-1.5 hours, and it must be taken in a single sitting (there is no way to save your progress). Make sure that you will have enough time to complete the exam when you start.
- The placement exam will not affect your grades at Boston University. The only goal of the placement exam is to make sure that you are signing up for the right course for you. To that end, please take the exam seriously and do your best, but do not worry if you don’t know the answer to a problem.
- You are encouraged to use scratch paper and a pen to work through the problems.
- Calculators may not be used.
- The only resources you are permitted are your scratch paper (and writing implement), and this Periodic Table.
Suggestions for Review Resources
Based on their performance in certain categories of topics on the placement exam, some students will be directed to review some material before matriculating in the courses in the fall. Suggestions for good resources to use for reviewing material ahead of CH109 or CH111 are listed in the Frequently Asked Questions.