The Boston University Chemistry Department educates undergraduate and graduate students, advances the forefront of knowledge in molecular science, and enhances our university community and society. By acknowledging a common set of shared and articulated values, we endeavor to foster a positive and supportive learning and working environment for all members of this diverse community.
Integrity is the foundation for intellectual and emotional growth. Aided by a strong and supportive community, and undergirded by accountability for individual actions and decisions, integrity is a cornerstone of our department. We believe in being respectful, fair, and honest with one another in the Chemistry community and Boston University as a whole.
Chemistry seeks to cultivate an open, safe and inclusive environment where each person feels accepted, valued, supported and encouraged. To achieve this, we commit to:
- Interact with one another with professionalism, patience, compassion, and empathy.
- Actively listen to one another and share our thoughts and ideas in a mindful and intentional manner to promote our common pursuit of knowledge and excellence.
- Communicate with clarity and transparency to promote trust and avoid misunderstandings.
- Appreciate and respect the dignity, diversity, and contributions of every member in the community, regardless of faith, gender, orientation, or origin.
- Embrace the principle that individual differences provide an essential catalyst for growth.
- Remember that mentorship offers the opportunity to learn as well as instruct.
- Adhere to Boston University’s Statement on Diversity.
- Recognize and celebrate the achievements of all members of the Department.
- Constructively communicate our concerns about experiences that aren’t consistent with these values.
Growth is a cyclic learning process achieved through consistent reflection, acknowledging the need for growth, developing a plan of action, and execution. Encountering setbacks and developing resilience are an important part of the process. The Chemistry Department is committed to an environment that nourishes curiosity and supports intellectual exploration in pursuit of the shared value of growth.
Creating a sustainable and healthy community requires each member to hold themselves accountable to their individual responsibilities as well as the community standards expressed in this statement. Recognizing our individual and shared responsibility for the health of our community, community members commit to model exemplary behavior and maintain an open dialogue about our values, while working towards the mission of the department.