It’s been three years since we last saw the Avengers suit up together (2015’s Avengers: Age of Ultron). Happily, they’re back, just in time to kick off the unofficial start of the summer movie season. The popular superteam returns to the big screen today in Avengers: Infinity War, the much-anticipated third installment of the Avengers narrative, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Disney. This time, the squad—among them Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and Black Widow—are teaming up with the Guardians of the Galaxy, like Star-Lord, Gamora, Rocket, and Groot, to stop the evil Thanos from collecting the Infinity Stones and wreaking havoc on the universe.
A December survey by movie ticket company Fandango named Infinity War the most anticipated film of 2018. It’s expected to be one of the summer’s biggest box office hits—according to some predictions it could pull in $250 million this weekend alone in the United States and Canada, making it the biggest North American opening ever. (It’s already sold more than $50 million in advance tickets.)
The film’s mind-boggling list of Hollywood A-stars, Avengers regulars Robert Downey, Jr., (Tony Stark/Iron Man), Chris Evans (Steve Rogers/Captain America), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner/Hulk), and Scarlett Johansson (Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow), are joined by Guardians of the Galaxy regulars Chris Pratt (Peter Quill/Star-Lord), Vin Diesel (Groot), and Bradley Cooper (Rocket). Rounding out the cast are Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther), Tom Holland (Spider-Man), Josh Brolin (Thanos), and Benedict Cumberbatch (Dr. Strange).
And in an ongoing BU Today tradition, we are marking the film’s release with a trivia contest. Our lucky winner will receive two free tickets to a screening tonight at AMC Loews Boston Common 19.
To enter, answer the questions below and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 pm today. Don’t forget to include your phone number, email address, and BU affiliation. Each person answering all questions correctly will be entered in a drawing for two tickets to tonight’s showing of Avengers: Infinity War at 9 pm at AMC Loews Boston Common 19, 175 Tremont Street.
We will notify the winner and announce the name on BU Today by 2 pm, so be sure to check this afternoon. Good luck—and Avengers, assemble.
- The Avengers heroes first appeared in a 1963 comic. This original member has yet to surface in an Avengers film, but is expected to pop up in the July 2018 Ant-Man?
- What noted British actress, currently starring in a horror film, was originally cast as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow before being replaced by Scarlett Johansson?
- Which Avengers character, portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson, appears in post-credit cameos in Marvel Studios films?
- The Infinity Stones, originally referred to in the comics as Soul Gems, grant their possessor omnipotence and omniscience. How many are there?
- The Guardians of the Galaxy character Rocket, voiced by Bradley Cooper, is a genetically enhanced version of which mammal?
- Black Panther is the king of the fictional African nation Wakanda. What is the name of his alter ego?
- The name and character of Avengers member Thor, played by Chris Hemsworth, is based on a god from what mythological tradition?
- The man responsible for creating most of Marvel’s superheroes has been Marvel’s editor-in-chief, publisher, chairman, chairman emeritus, and an editorial board member and has appeared in cameos in nearly every Marvel movie since 2000. Who is he?
- Which global organization proposes a legal edict that divides the Avengers, namely Iron Man and Captain America, in Captain America: Civil War?
- What caused Bruce Banner to turn into the Hulk?
Watch the trailer for Avengers: Infinity War here.
Jacob Gurvis can be reached at email@example.com.