Disability Accommodation

University Policy

School of Law Policy

Excerpt taken from the Student Services section of the 2017/2018 JD Handbook:

10. Disability Services

BU Disability Services office, 19 Deerfield St., 2nd Floor; 617-353-3658 (Voice/TTY); www.bu.edu/disability; access@bu.edu.

Students seeking accommodations due to a disability must first contact the BU Disability Services office. Students must provide documentation regarding their disability. Disability Services can explain the BU guidelines to which this documentation must conform. After reviewing the documentation, Disability Services may recommend accommodations. Such recommendations must be reviewed and approved by the BU Law Dean or Dean’s designate.

Please note that Disability Services requires several weeks to complete its review, and BU Law cannot provide disability accommodations without a recommendation from Disability Services. Accordingly, students seeking accommodations should start the process as soon as possible. (Do not wait until exam period.) For further information, see Associate Dean Muir, Law Room 503 or 617-358-1800.

Students with temporary or permanent disabilities seeking accommodations should contact Boston University’s Disability Services office at 19 Deerfield Street, Boston, MA 02215 (telephone 617-353-3658 Voice/TTY; email: access@bu.edu). Disability Services arranges for academic accommodations for students with disabilities. Such accommodations may include the use of a note-taker and course materials in alternative formats, such as Braille or enlarged print. Other accommodations that might be approved include a reduced course load and exam-related accommodations, such as extended time or a distraction-free environment.

Students seeking academic accommodations on the basis of a disability (such as extended time on examinations or the use of a note-taker) initially must work directly with Disability Services. Disability Services will review a student’s medical documentation and recommend academic accommodations to the School of Law on the basis of that documentation. The recommendations of Disability Services must be reviewed and approved by the Dean of the School of Law. Medical documentation must comply with University guidelines, which may be obtained from Disability Services. Please note that Disability Services may require as much as two weeks to complete its review, and that the School of Law cannot provide academic accommodations on the basis of a disability unless Disability Services has recommended accommodations. Thus, students should start this process before starting classes at the law school.

Students who are deaf or hard of hearing may arrange for sign language interpreters, computer aided real-time transcription (“CART”) or assistive listening devices through Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (“SDHH”) in the Disability Services office. Please call SDHH at 617-353-7790 (TTY) or 617-353-6882 (Voice) to make arrangements for interpreter or CART services. Students with learning disabilities also may receive services beyond academic in-class and exam accommodations through Learning Disability Services (LDS) at Disability Services.

Requests for housing accommodations for students with disabilities should be directed to the Rental Property Management office at 19 Deerfield Street, 617-353-4101. Be sure to indicate your interest in accessible apartments. An extremely limited number of accessible dormitory-style rooms are available through the Assignments Area in the University’s Housing office, 25 Buick Street, 617-353-3511. Students must submit their housing application, Residence License Agreement, and medical documentation directly to the Housing office. The Disability Services office will review the medical documentation and work with the Housing office to arrange housing accommodations. Please note that due to the extremely limited availability of graduate housing, requests for housing accommodations must be submitted as soon as possible.