This page shows the history of the SimpleHelp pilot at Boston University. For information on the current implementation of SimpleHelp, including instructions for use, please visit the main SimpleHelp page.
IS&T made an initial purchase of a 20-session license for SimpleHelp in July 2010.
Goals of the implementation:
- Install SimpleHelp for initial use at Boston University, with an eye to expanded use
- Involve parties from different BU technology support groups who are interested in using the software
- Ensure security and access are configured to meet Boston University needs
What’s the status right now?
Most recent updates first.
September 19, 2010
- Web pages published to TechWeb; overview page, client page and technician page (including technician request form). This history page created from information previously on the project overview page.
September 18, 2010
- Created form to allow prospective technicians (or their sponsors) to request pre-approval. Form sends to firstname.lastname@example.org for appropriate routing. Linked on technician page.
September 14, 2010
- At request of Jeff Albro, pre-approved all it-common members as technicians.
September 13, 2010
- New technician authentication tested — works well! Mail sent to technician group to tell them how to get them set up under new authentication.
- Updated technician page to explain how this works.
September 10, 2010
- Thanks to Peter Jorgensen, Matt Kramer and Frank Lonigro for implementing the backend for the new WebNew for technicians today. Plan mail to full technician group on Monday telling them what to do, and we will be in business on the new authentication scheme.
September 8th 2010
- Version 3.8 installed and configured to allow Kerberos access for Technicians in our SimpleHelp Technicians group…however “…since the memberOf field is restricted in our AD implementation (it contains FERPA protected information) we need to be a little creative.” Workaround we will use is to have members of technician group run a special WebNew. This requires programming work by some specific staff members.
September 3, 2010
- Version 3.8 has been officially released. Requested install at BU.
Late August update
- Waiting for official release of version 3.8
- At BU, we set up the Active Directory group that this version will use for Technician access
- Updated BU local web pages for both end-users and technicians
August 6, 2010
- Received word from SimpleHelp that next release (3.8) will allow us to configure Technician authentication via AD groups; this is very good and will allow us to use BU login/Kerberos in a secure manner.
August 6, 2010
- Gave presentation to Support & Infrastructure Governance Committee on status of the project including concerns about current Technician authentication. Discussed options.
- After presentation, signed up large number of new technicians for pilot / testing.
July 26, 2010
- Initial testing by a small group (including tester at Med Campus) shows access and security working as expected.
- Still early days: please do not yet advertise beyond the test group.
- BU local documentation has been started and will be linked on this site.
- Mail going out to original group of interested people this week to get more people actively testing.
July 12, 2010:
- The software has been installed by the IS&T Windows System Group on a BU server.
- We can support 20 concurrent sessions on our current license.
- We are now testing the application to see how well it works in the BU environment.
- People interested in testing the software (please do not use in production yet – testing among colleagues only) – contact Clare Shawcross.
Who organized the SimpleHelp Pilot?
Planning, web pages, configuration and communication – Clare Shawcross, IS&T.
Installation, Active Directory work, and organization of clever workarounds – Peter Jorgensen, IS&T.