WordPress is a leading website-management product used widely around the world. We launched WordPress at BU in September 2008, and today hundreds of departments use WordPress to manage their websites. It replaces both Dreamweaver and Contribute.
With WordPress, you can do more with less. Less time. Less effort. Less money. Less technical skill. WordPress makes managing a website easy. There’s no software to buy, install, and keep up to date. You manage your site through your web browser. And WordPress is far easier to learn than Dreamweaver or Contribute.
- Design catalog – built-in, approved designs from Interactive Design that you can apply to your site
- Drag-and-drop navigation – easily add, remove, or rearrange items to manage your site’s navigation
- Forms generator – build forms in minutes, not hours – without writing any code
- News and calendar – manage your news and events from within WordPress
- User manager – add and remove your own site administrators and editors – you don’t have to ask IS&T
- Restrict public access – web-based interface lets you restrict access for a single page in your site, your entire site, or anything in between – without writing any code
- Media manager – upload photos, graphics, PDF files, etc. to your site from within WordPress
WordPress at BU runs in a managed environment with many themes and plugins designed specifically for the BU community. To ensure best performance and stability in this environment, we do not accept themes or plugins from outside developers or agencies. Please see these FAQs for further details.
There is no charge to get started with an empty WordPress site, bu site migration and redesign costs vary. IS&T will assess the effort required to meet your goals and provide an estimate.
- To start using WordPress to manage your department’s website, you have two options:
- Do it yourself. If you have a small (under 50 pages) departmental site already or want to create a new site, just request an empty WordPress site.
- Have us do it for you. If your site is large, you can request that we migrate your site into WordPress for you. Request a consultation on redesigning your site or migrating to WordPress.
- Attend one of our WordPress training sessions to learn more about the product and how to use it.
- Educational Technology Consulting is available.