Research Proposal Submission Requirements
Any research proposal using human subjects must be reviewed and approved by the Boston University Institutional Review Board (IRB) to ensure that all research is conducted ethically and in accordance with all institutional and federal guidelines. Certain proposals must be submitted to the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences for a pre-review prior to being sent to the University IRB.
To determine which procedure is required for your proposal, please click on the appropriate link below:
- Honors in Psychology Student IRB Proposal Submission Instructions
- Graduate Student IRB Proposal Submission Instructions
- Faculty Proposals: Researchers Requesting Use of Sona Systems for PS101 Recruitment*
- Researchers With Previously Approved Studies Who Would Now Like to Use Sona Systems for PS101 Recruitment
* NOTE: Faculty who do not plan on recruiting PS101 students through the SONA System do not need to have their proposals pre-reviewed by the department and may submit their proposals directly to the University IRB.
Instructions for Use of the Sona Experiment Participation System
Sona Systems is an online recruitment tool for students enrolled in General Psychology (PS101) courses who are interested in participating in studies for experimental credits. Researchers who have been approved for use of the Sona System can post their studies and assign students’ credit for completed hours. Students in PS101 can log in to sign up for active studies or track their credit progress on their account. The Psychological and Brain Sciences Sona Systems website can be accessed here.
If you are a researcher who would like to obtain approval of one of your studies for use of the Sona System, please see our IRB page for instructions.