Online Writing Resources
These websites complement face-to-face Writing Assistance appointments. We hope you find them useful.
Online Resources for Academic Writers
Grammar, Language, Formality, Citation
Free resources for writers at all levels, including ESL resources.
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- The UNC Writing Center: Handouts
- Writing Advice for Core Students at BU
- Quick and Dirty Tips: Writing (with Grammar Girl)
- Academic vs. Colloquial Voice (USF Writing Center)
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online (access provided via BU Library)
- Oxford English Dictionary (OED) (access via BU Library)
- Collins Dictionary: Thesaurus
- Word Reference (alternative to Google Translate)
- Boston University Library Research Guides
- Boston University Library Collections of E-Resources
Persuasive Writing and Logical Fallacies
Learn to anticipate and meet your readers’ needs.
Not every piece of writing is a term paper…
- Application Essays (UNC Writing Center)
- Creative Writing 101 (Daily Writing Tips)
- 18 Tips for Killer Presentations (LifeHack)
Resources on avoiding plagiarism.
- UNC Plagiarism Tutorial and Self-Test
- Bates Plagiarism Resource Site (includes Self-Test)
- WikiHow: Avoiding Plagiarism
- Boston University Academic Conduct Code
Writing Tools and Apps
Better writing through BU-provided software.
- Read&Write GOLD: award-winning software that helps students with reading, writing, research, and organization, combining many different accessibility and organizational tools in a single, easy-to-use toolbar. Click here to watch a demonstration video.
- Boston University Library Bibliographic Management Tools including RefWorks, EndNote Web, Mendeley, and Zotero.