Schedule a Language Link Group
There are three group levels available:
Novice (Nov.) -
Novice is designated for students with little/no previous exposure to the language. Students will be able to familiarize themselves more with grammatical concepts and their appropriate usage by attempting to construct simple sentences with the aid of language leaders. Language Link leaders are not teaching the language, but will include some discussion of grammatical concepts as well as help interested students refine their current understanding should they have questions. Students who wish to participate in the novice level should be registered in at least 1st-semester or ½ year of previous exposure to the language.
Intermediate (Int.) -
Intermediate is designated for students who are familiar with the language and have been exposed to it previously. Students will be able to continue enhancing their conversation skills by integrating their knowledge of the language into a coherent and well-structured manner. Students who wish to participate in intermediate should be registered in at least 3rd-semester or 1 ½ – 3 years of previous exposure to the language.
Advanced (Adv.) -
Advanced is designated for students who are well acquainted with the language and wish to achieve near-native fluency. Students participating at this level should be able to coherently converse in a well-organized manner without the need of any aid and/or other resources. Students at this level will obtain a better understanding of not only the language but also of colloquial expressions commonly used. Students who wish to participate in advanced should be registered in at least 5th-semester or 3+ years of previous exposure to the language.
By signing up for a Language Link group, you are agreeing to the Language Link Program policies. Please read these before continuing.
Signing up for a group is done online. However, you will meet with your Language Link leader face-to-face.
Scheduling a Conversation
- Go to the TutorTrac website: https://erctutor.bu.edu/.
- Enter your BU login name in the User Name field and your Kerberos password in the Password field (similar to how you log into Student Link).
- Select the Search Availabilities option to the upper left of the TutorTrac screen.
- Choose Language Link in the first drop-down menu.
- Select the language and level you would like to participate in.
- You may adjust the parameters of your time availability by clicking on the days you are available and the time ranges you are free. We recommend that you leave the range as is so the system generates the maximum number of group possibilities.
- Click the Search button at the bottom left.
- When you find a group that works for your schedule, click on the time and a new window will open.
- Select the reason for wanting to participate in a Language Link group from the options listed.
- In order to give the Language Link leader a better idea of what you expect from the group, we strongly encourage you to add notes for the Language Link leader in the Notes section.
- Click Save and you will have signed up for your selected Language Link group.
- TutorTrac will send you an email containing the Language Link leader’s name and email, as well as the date, time, level, and location of your Language Link group. Please note that TutorTrac can only send email to your bu.edu account.
- The next time you log in to TutorTrac, you will see a list of your upcoming appointments at the bottom of the Welcome Screen.
To Cancel a Session
- You must give 24-hours notice to cancel a session. To cancel an session, send an email to your leader with your name and the time/day of the session you wish to cancel. Follow along with these instructions (.pdf) for more detail.
- Please note that if you arrive more than 15 minutes after the start of a group, TutorTrac will automatically mark you as Missed.
For additional troubleshooting information, please read the Language Link FAQs.
Schedule a Language Link group