Fellowships and Scholarships

About Us

Each year, Boston University students apply for a number of prestigious, nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships. These fellowships may provide funding for portions of undergraduate study, for graduate study, or even for travel and/or independent research not tied to a specific academic program.

The Office of the Provost provides information, outreach, and support to high-achieving Boston University students who may be candidates for these nationally competitive scholarships.  Opportunities requiring the University’s endorsement, such as the Rhodes, British Marshall, George Mitchell, Fulbright, DAAD, Luce, Merage, Carnegie Jr. Fellows, Goldwater, Truman, Madison, and Udall scholarships and fellowships are supported and vetted through this office. We also provide advice to students applying for prestigious competitions that do not require institutional nomination such as the Gates Cambridge and others.


Spotlight Opportunities:

Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship For juniors, seniors, and alumni who are planning to enter their first year of graduate school and are US citizens – The Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship program is open for application. The fellowship provides up to $37,500 annually for two years of education costs (senior year of undergraduate studies plus first year of master’s studies or two years of master’s studies) and two summer internships. Women, members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service, and students with financial need are encouraged to apply. Pickering Fellows must commit to working for the US Foreign Service in the U.S. Department of State for five years after completing their master’s degree.  Apply directly
Deadline: January 15 2016

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships The applications for the 2016-2017 David L. Boren Scholarships and Fellowships are now available at www.borenawards.org. Boren Awards provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to study in Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East, where they can add important international and language components to their educations. Boren Scholars and Fellows represent a variety of academic backgrounds, but all are interested in studying less commonly taught languages, including but not limited to Arabic, Hindi, Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Swahili. Undergraduate students can receive up to $20,000 for an academic year’s study abroad and graduate students up to $30,000 for language study and international research. In exchange for funding, recipients commit to working in the federal government for a minimum of one year.

National Institutes of Justice Graduate Research Fellowship - The National Institute of Justice (NIJ) is looking for doctoral students with innovative research that aims to solve problems faced by criminal justice practitioners. For doctoral students in social and behavioral sciences (SBS), NIJ awards up to $32,000 in stipend and research support. For doctoral students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), students can receive stipends of $35,000 as well as up to $15,000 annually to cover tuition and research expenses. Up to three years of support are possible, with demonstration of continued enrollment and satisfactory progress.  Apply directly by deadline of December 15, 2015. (also please add to Graduate Page of new website)


Donald M. Payne International Development Graduate Fellowship – If you want to work on the front lines of some of the most pressing global challenges of our times — poverty, hunger, injustice, disease, environmental degradation, climate change, conflict and violent extremism – the Foreign Service of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) provides an opportunity to advance U.S. foreign policy interests and reflect the American people’s compassion and support of human dignity. The Payne Fellowship provides up to $90,000 in benefits over two years for graduate school, internships, and professional development activities. The Payne Fellowship encourages the application from US citizens who are members of minority groups who have historically been underrepresented in international development careers and those with financial need. Fellows will join the USAID foreign service on completion of the program. Apply directly by deadline of January 19, 2016. (also please add to undergraduate page of new website – for seniors)


Kip Tiernan Social Justice Fellowship- The Kip Tiernan Social Justice Fellowship honors the lifelong work of the founder of Rosie’s Place, which was established in Boston 41 years ago as the first women’s shelter in the nation. The Fellowship is awarded annually to a woman with new ideas, talent and energy to develop and carry out a special project in New England that will improve the lives of poor and homeless women and further the mission of Rosie’s Place. The Fellowship is 12 months long and is awarded on a one-time basis to an eligible woman. Fellows are paid a $40,000 stipend. Apply directly by deadline of February 8, 2016. (also please add to undergraduate  – for seniors and alumni pages of new website)


James Madison Memorial Fellowship  – The James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation offers $24,000 towards master’s degree studies to individuals desiring to become outstanding teachers of the American Constitution at the secondary school level (grades 7-12). Applicants must be US citizens who are teachers or plan to be teachers of American history, American government, or social studies and who will receive a bachelor’s degree no later than August 31 of the year in which you are applying. After receiving your master’s degree, each Fellow must teach at secondary school level for one full year for each academic year of funding received under the fellowship. Apply directly by deadline of March 1, 2016.


For Boston University students and alumni:

General queries can be sent to: bufellow@bu.edu

For those scholarships requiring official institutional nomination, an initial application must be submitted to Director of National and International Scholarships Diane Flynn by an internal deadline that may be several months before the external deadline. Applicants will generally be interviewed in order for the Provost’s Office to prepare the letter of nomination, or in case the number of nominees is limited, as part of the internal selection process. The Director can also be contacted for advice on competitions that do not require institutional nomination.

Many other opportunities exist and may be available through Deans’ offices, department offices, and the Office of Financial Assistance.

Undergraduate research opportunities are announced by the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program.

For Boston University Faculty:

Faculty opportunities are announced through the Office of the Vice President and Associate Provost for Research.

For Incoming or Prospective Students:

Boston University’s Office of Financial Assistance or your department of study can provide advice.