Sargent Choice Test Kitchen: Vegan Irish Stew
Sargent Choice Vegan Irish Stew
March 14, 2023
Abigail Morrissey, Nutrition Student
Why We Chose This Recipe
- Irish stew is typically made with root vegetables and meat. As we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this week, a vegan version of this recipe was a great opportunity to pay tribute to the Irish culture.
- This delicious stew is a great way to incorporate some vegetables into a meal and try a plant-based meat alternative.
Recipe adapted from The Fiery Vegetarian
Yield: about 4 bowls
- 1 tablespoon oil, butter (not vegan), or spread
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, quartered and sliced
- 2 medium carrots sliced into half–moons
- 4 medium potatoes, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 2 cups TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Dried or chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Heat oil or butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions to fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery and fry for 5 more minutes. Stir periodically, until golden and soft.
- Add all other ingredients, except the TVP and parsley.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium-high heat to remain at a lively simmer.
- Check that the potatoes are almost cooked through after about 12 minutes. Turn the heat to low and stir in TVP to combine. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for an additional 8 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
What We Liked
- We liked that this recipe provided warmth and comfort on a snowy, cold day.
- We liked that the spices and seasonings for the recipe could be altered based on each individual’s taste preferences.
- We liked that this recipe was fairly quick and simple to create with only one pot being used for the recipe.
- For the test kitchen, we used Trader Joe’s new meatless ground plant-based crumbles made with pea protein. This a comparable but less expensive option for the texturized vegetable protein ingredient and it tasted great!
- Stews are delicious and very customizable. The vegetables can be added in various quantities based on individual preferences. Additionally, students who consume meat can use lean ground beef or ground turkey instead of the plant-based alternative.
- This recipe is full of vegetables that contain a variety of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Fiber helps control blood glucose and cholesterol levels in the body, as well as contributes to feeling fuller after eating fiber-containing foods. Fiber can also help maintain a healthy digestive tract.
- Potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates and potassium. Carbohydrates provide a quicker source of energy for your body, and is the preferred fuel source for the brain, muscles and red blood cells. Potassium is an electrolyte that helps the body maintain normal fluid and blood volume. Potassium is also important for kidney function, muscle contraction, and nerve transmission. Adequate potassium intake can help decrease blood pressure which reduces one’s risk for a stroke and heart disease.
- The texturized vegetable protein (or Trader Joe’s Meatless Grounds) is the protein source for this recipe and it provides lasting satisfaction and satiety.