Download a printable Faculty Departure Checklist

Faculty departures require action by the faculty member, Department Administration, Human Resources, Research Administration, Research Compliance Offices, and Department Chairs/Chiefs. These actions are required as soon as the decision is made to ensure a timely transition. This includes departure to another institution, retirement, or closure of a lab for any reason.

This page provides guidance to PIs, Department Chairs, and Department Administrators when faculty who perform research (clinical and basic)/programmatic activities at Boston Medical Center or BU depart our institution and to faculty who intend to move their research activities, including staff, grants/contracts, basic and clinical research records, animals, materials and databases, equipment, etc. to another institution or who intend to close their lab without relocation.