BU D&I Now Hiring Inaugural Communications Fellow
August 2, 2021 — Boston University Diversity & Inclusion (BU D&I) seeks a motivated, organized, and reliable Communications Fellow to join the team in this inaugural role. The Fellow must be a current BU undergraduate, graduate, or professional student from any degree program. With mentorship and guidance from the BU D&I Communications Manager, the successful candidate will research, design, and publish social media posts and website & newsletter content. Because the Communications Fellowship position is new, we will also look to the first-ever Fellow to assist in guiding the development of the program for the future. Follow the link below to apply.
The BU D&I Communications Fellow will gain first-hand experience in strategic communications planning and execution in the fields of higher education and diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Fellow will also gain experience working closely with the Communications Manager and a team of D&I-focused professionals.
The position will start as soon as possible in summer 2021 or fall 2021 and will continue throughout the 2021-2022 academic year. All BU D&I team members will be working on campus beginning Monday, August 2. Remote work flexibility is available. The BU D&I Communications Fellow Program position requires a minimum of 10 hours per week. A consistent work schedule is preferred, but hours are flexible.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Social media planning and content writing for BU D&I’s three main channels
- Planning and writing two monthly newsletters with 2,500+ readership
- Metrics reporting and benchmarking
- Research on the latest conversations in diversity and inclusion in society and higher education
- Creating and managing website content
- Actively participate in and contribute thoughtful feedback during meetings
A qualified candidate should be:
- Passionate and committed to supporting our shared vision of a diverse, inclusive, and equitable BU
- A strong oral and written communicator in multiple contexts such as email writing, social media writing, and website writing
- Experienced in participating in or leading a diverse and inclusive community space or organization
- Familiar or experienced with the following tools and platforms:
- Social media management applications (ie. Sprinklr)
- Newsletter management applications (ie. Mailchimp)
- Microsoft Office Suite (ie. Word, Powerpoint, OneDrive)
- Able to multi-task and manage concurrent deadlines
- Interested in expanding their/her/his professional communications experience
- Interested in contributing to the direction and development of the BU D&I Communications Fellowship Program
Helpful skills and qualities a successful candidate should have:
- Familiarity with strategic communications planning and execution
- Growth and learning mindset
Interested candidates should apply via this link no later than September 13, 2021. As part of the application process, you will be asked to upload your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample. If you are interested in the role, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We would love the opportunity to chat with you and to see if you could be a great fit.
Questions? Email Mike Tom, BU D&I Communications Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Boston University Diversity & Inclusion
Located on the 8th floor of One Silber Way, Boston University Diversity & Inclusion (BU D&I) works closely with all of the University’s 17 schools and colleges to help create a positive and welcoming campus climate, and ensure that we are recruiting world-class students, staff, and faculty whose experiences and viewpoints embolden the academic endeavor. We strive to make sure the paths to academic, professional, and social success are open and unimpeded to every member of the BU community through community-building, education, programming, training and more.