Enhancements to the Case Athletics Center and 300 Babcock Street improved accessibility and wayfinding through the modification to the existing building entryways and the addition of interior and exterior signage to aid visitors.
The Case Center, located at 285 Babcock Street, is a multi-purpose athletics facility that houses an ice surface (Walter Brown Arena), a multi-court gymnasium, and support facilities including locker rooms and sports medicine/training rooms. The building’s primary entrance also serves as a portal to Nickerson Field, thus is a major point of access to venues for 7 of the University’s 22 intercollegiate programs.
- Replaced a portion of existing sloping sidewalk with a new accessible path leading to main entry doors
- Replaced the existing vestibule and added an overhead canopy to provide shelter over the new vestibule
- Transitioned the new building entrance to the existing sidewalk with a divided stair
- Created ADA-compliant restrooms
- Added BU Athletics branding on the exterior and in the lobby and stairwell
300 Babcock Street houses a number of programs primarily focused on intercollegiate athletics. In addition to administrative offices, the building is also home to training tanks for the rowing/crew team, academic advising, strength and conditioning facilities, and offices for the various teams’ coaches.
- Raised the curb and sidewalk to allow for on-grade access to primary entrance
- Provided a canopy over the entry to better make the entrance and provide shelter over the vestibule
Project TeamProject Management:Brian Clinghan (Campus Planning & Operations)
ArchitectPerkins + Will
General Contractor:Kaplan Construction