CFD TEAM AND AFFILIATE FACULTY PUBLICATIONS
- Edited by Carrie J. Preston, Muhammad H. Zaman, and Marina Lazetic. US and EU Border Externalization Regimes: The Lines They Draw. Anthem Press. To appear in Fall 2023.
- Carrie J. Preston, John Carrell, Aliza Wong, Chad Cain, and Muhammad Zaman, “Honors Liberal Arts for the 21st Century,” in A Comprehensive Guide to Honors Colleges, ed. Richard Badenhausen (National Collegiate Honors Council, forthcoming 2023).
- Muhammad H. Zaman. Access Denied: Healthcare and the forcibly displaced. Johns Hopkins University Press. To appear Spring 2023.
- Muhammad H. Zaman. Weaponizing Infection. (Under contract, The New Press).
- Muhammad H. Zaman. Dying by the roadside: Refugee health and statecraft in the new state of Pakistan. (Under contract, Johns Hopkins Press).
- Carrie J. Preston, Complicit Participation: The Liberal Audience for Antiracist Theater (Forthcoming Oxford University Press).
Recently Published Books:
- Bowes, D.A., Driver, E.M., Savic, S. et al. “Integrated multiomic wastewater-based epidemiology can elucidate population-level dietary behaviour and inform public health nutrition assessments.” Nat Food (2023). https://doi.org/10.1038/s43016-023-00717-w
- Ayse Parla. “Hamlet after Genocide: The Haunting of Soghomon Tehlirian and Empirical Fabulation.” Comparative Studies in Society and History, 2023, 1–25. https://doi:10.1017/S0010417522000573.
- Tarnas, Maia C., Carly Ching, Joleah B. Lamb, Daniel M. Parker, and Muhammad H. Zaman. “Analyzing Health of Forcibly Displaced Communities through an Integrated Ecological Lens”. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (published online ahead of print 2023). https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.22-0624
- Trombetta, Isabella. Maritime borders in the Central Mediterranean: Search and Rescue and Access to Asylum.”nales de Derecho, 40, 132–157. https://doi.org/10.6018/analesderecho.54814
- Aljadeeah, Saleh, Joris Michielsen, Raffaella Ravinetto, Sally Hargreaves, Veronika J. Wirtz, Oliver Razum, Federico Gobbi, and Karina Kielmann. “Facilitating Access to Medicines and Continuity of Care for Ukrainian Refugees: Exceptional Response or the Promise of More Inclusive Healthcare for All Migrants?” BMJ Global Health. BMJ Specialist Journals, August 1, 2022. https://gh.bmj.com/content/7/8/e010327.abstract.
- Carly Ching and Muhammad H. Zaman. Refugee Crisis: Why Scientists and Scholars Need to Step Up. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. July 2022. https://www.ajtmh.org/view/journals/tpmd/107/1/article-p12.xml
- Carrie J. Preston, “Participation, Pandemic, and the Pucker in Taylor Mac’sThe Lily’s Revenge” in Taylor Mac, eds. Sean Edgecomb & David Román (University of Michigan Press, forthcoming 2022). https://www.press.umich.edu/12004355/taylor_mac_book
- Carrie J. Preston, “The Humanities of Migration and Health,” in Migration and Health, eds. Sandro Galea, Catherine Ettman, and Muhammad Zaman (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, forthcoming 2022). https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/M/bo181540563.html
- Muhammad H. Zaman, Tahera Hasan and Janki Bhatt. “Invisible people, visible barriers.” The Statelessness & Citizenship Review, 4(2), 286-292. (2022) Retrieved from https://statelessnessandcitizenshipreview.com/index.php/journal/article/view/357
- Aljadeeah S, Wirtz VJ, Nagel E. “Cross-sectional survey to describe medicine use among Syrian asylum seekers and refugees in a German federal state: looking beyond infectious diseases.” BMJ Open September 2021. https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/11/9/e053044.
- Aljadeeah, Saleh, Veronika J. Wirtz, and Eckhard Nagel. “Barriers to Accessing Medicines among Syrian Asylum Seekers and Refugees in a German Federal State” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 18, no. 2: 519. (March 2021). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18020519.
- Ayse Parla. “Precarious Hope: Migration and the Limits of Belonging in Turkey.” Insight Turkey 23, no. 3 (2021). Gale Academic OneFile. https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A688053991/AONE?u=mlin_b_bumml&sid=googleScholar&xid=fa170184.
- Noora Lori and Kaija Schilde. “Muddying the waters: migration management in the global commons.” International Relations, 35(3), 510–529. (2021). https://doi.org/10.1177/00471178211036221
- Barocas, J.A., Jacobson, K.R. & Hamer, D.H. “Addressing the COVID-19 Pandemic Among Persons Experiencing Homelessness: Steps to Protect a Vulnerable Population.” J GEN INTERN MED 36, 1416–1417 (February 2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-020-06434-5.
- Indorica Sutradhar and Muhammad H. Zaman. One Health approaches to improve refugee health. Lancet Global Health. December 2021. The Lancet. Global Health9, no. 12 (2021): e1646-e1647. https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/langlo/PIIS2214-109X(21)00416-2.pdf
- Mark Suprenant, Rana Hussein, Najwa Al-Dheeb, Huda Basaleem and Muhammad H. Zaman, Internal Displacement’s Impact on Health in Yemen. IDMC Reports, 2021. https://www.internal-displacement.org/publications/internal-displacements-impacts-on-health-in-yemen
- Mohammad Ahsan Fuzail, Bilal Ahmed, Daniel L. Burke, Amanda Hylland Spjeldnæs, Masako Horino, Carly Ching, and Muhammad Hamid Zaman. “Microbiome research potential for developing holistic approaches to improve refugee health.”Journal of Global Health Reports 5 (2021): e2021094. https://www.joghr.org/article/28997
- Noora Lori and Kaija Schilde. “A Political Economy of Global Security Approach to Migration and Border Control.” Journal of Global Security Studies, Volume 6, Issue 1, March 2021. https://doi.org/10.1093/jogss/ogaa011.
- Noora Lori and Kaija Schilde. “Muddying the Waters: Migration Management in the Global Commons.” International Relations 35, no. 3 (August 6, 2021). https://doi.org/10.1177/00471178211036221.
- Noora Lori. “Citizens-in-Waiting: Strategic Naturalization Delays in the USA and UAE.” Ethnic and Racial Studies, August 2021. https://doi.org/10.1080/01419870.2021.1962937.
- Noora Lori. “Possible Citizens: Migration Enforcement as the Performance of Citizenship in the United Arab Emirates.” International Migration Review, December 2021. https://doi.org/10.1177/01979183211054796.
- Rana Hussein, Mark Suprenant, Najwa Al-Dheeb, Saul Guerrero, Elaine Rogers, Fouzia Shafique, Meredith Dyson and Muhammad H. Zaman. A mathematical Model to Estimate the Incidence of Child Wasting in Yemen. Confl Health15, 62 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13031-021-00400-6
- Samuel Ebiowei Fanifini Orubu, Najwa Al-Dheeb, Carly Ching, Sema Bu Jawdeh, Jessica Anderson, Rashad Sheikh, Fadhel Hariri, Huda Basaleem, Muhammad H. Zaman. Assessing antimicrobial resistance, utilization and stewardship in Yemen: An exploratory mixed-methods study. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 2021. https://www.ajtmh.org/view/journals/tpmd/105/5/article-p1404.xml
- Singh, Neha S, Michelle Lokot, Chi-Chi Undie, Monica A Onyango, Rosemary Morgan, Anne Harmer, Jane Freedman, and Shirin Heidari. “Research in Forced Displacement: Guidance for a Feminist and Decolonial Approach.” The Lancet 397, no. 10274 (February 2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(21)00024-6.
- Lauren Jacobson, Alexandra Regan, Shirin Heidari & Monica Adhiambo Onyango “Transactional sex in the wake of COVID-19: sexual and reproductive health and rights of the forcibly displaced,” Sexual and Reproductive Health Matters. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1080/26410397.2020.1822493.
- Mark Suprenant, Anuraag Gopaluni, Meredith K. Dyson, Najwa Al Dheeb, Fouzia Shafique and Muhammad H. Zaman. A predictive model for healthcare coverage in Yemen. Conflict and Health, 14 (1), 1-16. 2020. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s13031-020-00300-1
- Noora Lori. “Migration and Integration: The Case for Liberalism with Borders.” By Tom Farer. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, December 2020. Perspectives on Politics. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1537592720003333.
- Noora Lori. “Migration, time, and the shift toward autocracy”. In The shifting border, (Manchester, England: Manchester University Press, March 2020). https://doi.org/10.7765/9781526145321.0001.
- Wael Bazzi, Antoine G Abou Fayad, Aya Nasser, Louis-Patrick Haraoui, Omar Dewachi, Ghassan Abou-Sitta, Vinh-Kim Nguyen, Aula Abara, Nabil Karah, Hannah Landecker, Charles Knapp, Megan M McEvoy, Muhammad H Zaman, Paul G Higgins, Ghassan M Matar. Heavy Metal Toxicity in Armed Conflicts Potentiates AMR in baumannii by Selecting for Antibiotic and Heavy Metal Co-resistance Mechanisms. Frontiers in Microbiology. 03 Feb 2020. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2020.00068/full
- Heba Gowayed. “Diverging by Gender: Syrian Refugees’ Divisions of Labor and Formation of Human Capital in the United States.” Gender & Society, (January 2, 2019). https://doi.org/10.1177/0891243218819753
- Heba Gowayed. “Resettled and unsettled: Syrian refugees and the intersection of race and legal status in the United States,” Ethnic and Racial Studies, March 2019. https://doi.org/10.1080/01419870.2019.1583350.
- Saundria Moed and Muhammad H. Zaman. Towards better diagnostic tools for liver injury in low- and middle-income countries. BMJ Global Health. 4 (4), e001704, 2019. https://academic.oup.com/cid/article-abstract/73/11/e3959/5902970?redirectedFrom=fulltext&login=false
- Yara Najem, Imad H. Elhajj, Zaher Dawy, Aline Germani, Hala Ghattas, Muhammad Zaman, and Youseph Yazdi. “Humanitarian Engineering Design for Health Challenges: An Inter-faculty Service Based Learning Model.”International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering, Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship 14, no. 2 (2019): 16-32. https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/ijsle/article/view/13391
- Andrea K Boggild, Jennifer Geduld, Michael Libman, Cedric P Yansouni, Anne E McCarthy, Jan Hajek, Wayne Ghesquiere, Yazdan Mirzanejad, Jean Vincelette, Susan Kuhn, Pierre J Plourde, Sumontra Chakrabarti, Christina Greenaway, Davidson H Hamer, Kevin C Kain, “Spectrum of illness in migrants to Canada: sentinel surveillance through CanTravNet”, Journal of Travel Medicine, Volume 26, Issue 2, November 2018, https://doi.org/10.1093/jtm/tay117.
- David Hamer. “GeoSentinel – A Surveillance Network of Returning Travelers and Migrants.” International Journal of Infectious Diseases 73 (August 2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2018.04.3510.
- Hunter-Adams, J., Cochran, J., Laird, L.D. et al. “Acculturation and a Potential Relationship with Oral Health Outcomes Among Somali Refugees in Massachusetts.” J Immigrant Minority Health 20, 351–359 (April 2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-017-0650-0.
- Lazetic, Marina. “Migration Crisis” and the Far Right Networks in Europe: A case study of Serbia. Journal of Regional Security, Vol 12, No 2. September 2018.
- Schlagenhauf, P., Grobusch, M.P., Hamer, D.H. et al. “Area of exposure and treatment challenges of malaria in Eritrean migrants: a GeoSentinel analysis”. Malaria Journal (November 2018). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12936-018-2586-9.
- Stefanie Schutte, Francois Gemenne, Muhammad H. Zaman, Antoine Flahault, Anneliese Depoux. Connecting planetary health, climate change, and migration. Lancet Planetary Health, 2018, 2, 2. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanplh/article/PIIS2542-5196(18)30004-4/fulltext
- Devika Nadkarni, Hala Ghattas, Imad Elhajj, Zaher Dawy and Muhammad H. Zaman Examining the need & potential for biomedical engineering to strengthen health care delivery for displaced populations & victims of conflict. Conflict and Health. 201711:20. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s13031-017-0122-0
- Monica Adhiambo Onyango and Shirin Heidari. “Care with dignity in humanitarian crises: ensuring sexual and reproductive health and rights of displaced populations”, Reproductive Health Matters, (December 2017). https://doi.org/10.1080/09688080.2017.1411093.
- Noora Lori. “Statelessness, ‘In-Between’ Statuses, and Precarious Citizenship”, in Ayelet Shachar and others (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Citizenship (2017; online edn, Oxford Academic, 6 Sept. 2017), https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780198805854.013.32.
- George T. Kitching, Hanne J. Haavik, Birgit J. Tandstad, Muhammad H. Zaman and Elisabeth Darj. Exploring the Role of Ad Hoc Grassroots Organizations Providing Humanitarian Aid on Lesvos, Greece. PLoS Current Disasters. 2016 Vol 1; doi: 10.1371/currents.dis.bd282cd90ade7d4eb63b6bbdb1904d10. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5145811/
- López, L.,Vargas, E., *Hermanto, J. (2016). “Group work with immigrants and refugees.” In L.G. Greif & C. Knight (Eds). Group Work with Populations at Risk. Fourth Edition (pp. 201-220) New York: Oxford University Press.
- Mockenhaupt Frank P., Barbre Kira A., Jensenius Mogens, Larsen Carsten S., Barnett Elizabeth D., Stauffer William, Rothe Camilla, Asgeirsson Hilmir, Hamer Davidson H., Esposito Douglas H., Gautret Philippe, Schlagenhauf Patricia. “Profile of illness in Syrian refugees: A GeoSentinel analysis, 2013 to 2015.” Euro Surveill. March 2016. https://doi.org/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2016.21.10.30160.
- Nazli Kibria. “Migration, Incorporation and Change in an Interconnected World.” Social Forum. (September 2016) https://doi.org/10.1111/socf.12283.
- Krause, S., Williams, H., Onyango, M.A. et al. “Reproductive health services for Syrian refugees in Zaatri Camp and Irbid City, Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan: an evaluation of the Minimum Initial Services Package.” Conflict and Health. (February 2015). https://doi.org/10.1186/1752-1505-9-S1-S4.
- Nazli Kibria. “Household Structure and Family Ideologies: The Dynamics of Immigrant Economic Adaptation Among Vietnamese Refugees”. Social Problems, Volume 41, Issue 1, 1 February 1994, Pages 81–96, (July 2014). https://doi.org/10.2307/3096843.
- Adams JH, Young S, Laird LD, Geltman PL, Cochran JJ, Hassan A, Egal F, Paasche-Orlow MK, Barnes LL. “The cultural basis for oral health practices among Somali refugees pre-and post-resettlement in Massachusetts.” J Health Care Poor Underserved. November 2013. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3921667/.
- Noora Lori. “Impossible Citizens: Dubai’s Indian Diaspora”. Middle East Journal 67, no. 4 (October 2013) http://www.jstor.org/stable/43698089.
- Noora Lori. “Unsettling State: Non-Citizens, Citizenship and State Power in the United Arab Emirates.” JScholarship Home. Johns Hopkins University, October 26, 2013. https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/58792.
- Ayse Parla. “Undocumented Migrants and the Double Binds of Rights Claims.” differences. May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1215/10407391-1218247.
- López, L., & *Vargas E. (2011). En dos culturas: Group work with Latino immigrants and refugees. In L.G. Geoffrey & Ephross (Eds). Group Work with Populations at Risk. Third Edition (pp. 136-152) New York: Oxford University Press.
- Noora Lori. “National Security and the Management of Migrant Labor: A Case Study of the United Arab Emirates.” Asian and Pacific Migration Journal 20, (September 2011). https://doi.org/10.1177/011719681102000304.
- Hasan, Tahera, and Muhammad Hamid Zaman. “They’re the Invisible Victims of Climate Change.” NPR. NPR, November 9, 2021. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/11/09/1053818525/theyre-the-invisible-victims-of-climate-change.
- Lazetic Marina. “Migration, Extremism, & Dangerous Blame Games: Developments & Dynamics in Serbia.” RESOLVE Network, United States Institute of Peace , November 1, 2021.
- Lazetic, Marina, and Karen Jacobsen. “The 2021 Hurricane Season Showed Us Isn’t Prepared as Climate-Related Disasters Push People Deeper into Poverty.” The Conversation, September 13, 2022. https://theconversation.com/hunker-down-is-not-enough-2021-hurricane-season-showed-us-isnt-prepared-asclimate-%20related-disasters-push-people-deeper-into-poverty-169075.
- Lazetic, Marina. Belgrade, Serbia: A Case Study of Refugees in Towns. International Feinstein Center, Case Report. April 2018.
- Zaman, Muhammad H. “Opinion: Refugees Are Especially Vulnerable to COVID-19. Don’t Ignore Their Needs.” NPR. NPR, March 11, 2020. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/11/814473308/opinion-refugees-are-especially-vulnerable-to-covid-19-dont-ignore-their-needs.
- Zaman, Muhammad Hamid, and Louis Stouch. “Engineering Better Refugee Health Care: By Muhammad Hamid Zaman.” Project Syndicate, December 5, 2017. https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/biomedical-engineering-refugee-crisis-by-muhammad-hamid-zaman-2017-08.
- Zaman, Muhammad Hamid, Liz Cookman, Stefanie Glinski, and Irwin Loy. “’No More Refugees’ Is Not the Answer to Afghanistan’s Crisis.” The New Humanitarian, August 11, 2021. https://www.thenewhumanitarian.org/opinion/2021/8/11/no-more-refugees-not-the-answer-to-afghanistans-displacement-crisis.
- Zaman, Muhammad Hamid. “The Climate-Conflict Nexus: By Muhammad Hamid Zaman.” Project Syndicate, January 31, 2018. https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/climate-change-conflict-public-health-by-muhammad-hamid-zaman0-2017-12?barrier=accesspaylog.