For students declaring in or after Fall 2018
Core Introductory Courses
- Oceanography (EE144), including discussion/lab section for Marine Science majors.
- Marine Biology (BI260)
- Biology 1 (BI107)
- Biology 2 (BI108)
- CH101 and CH102 (for science majors and premedical students, recommended track for Marine Science majors)
- OR CH109 and CH110 (for biochemistry and molecular biology majors)
- OR CH111 and CH112 (for chemistry majors and well-prepared science and pre-medical students)
- OR CH171 and CH172 (this is a terminal sequence)
- OR CH171 and CH174 (this sequence allows students to also take CH273).
Math and Statistics
- Calculus I (MA123 or MA121)
- Basic Statistics and Probability (MA213) OR MA 115.
- Choose one:
- Second semester of Calculus (MA124 or MA122)
- OR second semester of Statistics (MA214 or MA116)
- OR computer science (CS 105, CS 108, or CS 111)
- General Physics (PY211) OR PY 105.
Marine Breadth Requirement. Three courses chosen from the following options:
It is recommended that you take a variety of courses to cover the breadth of Marine Science: Biological Oceanography (BO), Marine Biology (MB), Physical Oceanography (PO), Chemical Oceanography (CO), Marine Geology & Geophysics (MG), and Marine Spatial Dynamics (MSD).
- EE 310: Climate and the Environment (PO)
- EE 505: Geographic Information Systems (MSD)
- BI 303: Evolutionary Ecology (MB)
- BI 509: Metapopulation Ecology (BO, MB)**
- BI 519: Theoretical Evolution Ecology (BO, MB)**
- BI 550: Marine Genomics (MB)
- BI 500: Biology of Sharks (MB)
- BI 586: Ecological and Evolutionary Genomics (BO, MB)**
- EE 142: Introduction to Beaches and Shoreline Processes
- EE 351: Paleoclimatology and Paleoceanography (PO, MG)
- EE 422: Aquatic Optics and Remote Sensing (CO, MSD)
- EE 423: Marine Biogeochemistry (BO, CO)
- EE 507: Dynamical Oceanography (PO)**
- EE 533: Quantitative Geomorphology (MG)
- EE 576: Aquatic Geochemistry (CO)
- **Offered in alternate years
Participation in the Marine Semester. For detailed information, click here.
- Completion through the fourth semester of a foreign language
- WR 120 and WR 150
- BU Hub – 26 units are required. Visit www.bu.edu/hub for details
- Students are required to complete 128 credits total in order to graduate.