• Doug Most

    Associate Vice President, Executive Editor, Editorial Department Twitter Profile

    Doug Most is a lifelong journalist and author whose career has spanned newspapers and magazines up and down the East Coast, with stops in Washington, D.C., South Carolina, New Jersey, and Boston. He was named Journalist of the Year while at The Record in Bergen County, N.J., for his coverage of a tragic story about two teens charged with killing their newborn. After a stint at Boston Magazine, he worked for more than a decade at the Boston Globe in various roles, including magazine editor and deputy managing editor/special projects. His 2014 nonfiction book, The Race Underground, tells the story of the birth of subways in America and was made into a PBS/American Experience documentary. He has a BA in political communication from George Washington University. Profile

Comments & Discussion

Boston University moderates comments to facilitate an informed, substantive, civil conversation. Abusive, profane, self-promotional, misleading, incoherent or off-topic comments will be rejected. Moderators are staffed during regular business hours (EST) and can only accept comments written in English. Statistics or facts must include a citation or a link to the citation.

There are 6 comments on Fire at 722 Comm Ave BU Student Residence Causes Evacuation

  1. Clearly the dozen times that incoming students are specifically warned about “No candles in dorm rooms ever!” was not sufficient.
    I suggest BU create a mandatory online candle safety training that all students must register for, where they will learn what candles are, how some things that they might not have considered as candles are in fact candles from the candle’s point of view, and how society needs to evolve towards a zero-tolerance policy regarding fires.

  2. I’m saddened to see that this fire was caused by a candle. In the four years I was at BU, I saw an MIT frat on Bay State Road go up in a fireball from a candle, and I saw a memorial service for two of my classmates who passed in a fire due to use of candles. (The memorial bench is, I think, still in front of Towers.) And in the years I lived in Boston after graduating, I saw a good number of BU students injured or die in fires.

    Please be careful with candles!

Post a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *