The Department of Anesthesiology at Boston Medical Center (BMC) strives to offer exceptional care, without exception, to patients undergoing surgery and chronic pain–related procedures.
BMC performs approximately 30,000 cases per year of all types, including pediatric and obstetrical procedures and complex minimally invasive robotic operations. Additionally, BMC is a nationally recognized Level 1 trauma center.
The Department of Anesthesiology is committed to providing medical students the most rewarding experience in this specialty. The department offers clerkships for third-year students and specialized rotations in clinical, research, multimedia, and other scholarly activities for fourth-year medical students.
Resources and Department Accomplishments
The Department of Anesthesiology is very active in education, simulation, product development, and scholarly activities. It has a variety of noteworthy resources and recent accomplishments, including:
Resources and Publications
- A residency program with a five-year cycle ACGME accreditation status
- A state-of-the-art simulation center
- A busy multimedia center with publications in the New England Journal of Medicine, World Health Organization, American Society of Anesthesiology, and textbooks
- A variety of publications in peer-reviewed journals and textbooks
- Distinguished visiting professorships to and from our institution
- Development of the first patient safety-related multimedia enhanced book
Accomplishments and Accolades
- The highest percentage of its residents passing the American Board of Anesthesiology examinations on the first attempt
- Award-winning scientific and educational exhibits at recent national meetings
- Recognition by the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation for having the best safety-related exhibits two years consecutively at national meetings
The Department of Anesthesiology remains a strong provider of clinical care as well as a superb educational resource for both medical students and residents.