Resources for Current Graduate Students
If you find a broken link or an out of date document, or think something is missing, please contact us.
Graduate Student Handbooks
Please consult with your advisor and/or the DGS regarding your particular course of study. Some policies and practices are in transition.
Satisfactory Academic Progress
The GRS minimum standard for satisfactory academic progress is:
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have no more than 2 failing grades (lower than B- or an incomplete grade older than 12 months)
- Pass qualifying exams and other milestones on the schedule specified by the program
For detailed information about degree requirements and optimal timetables for the completion of:
- MA and PhD programs in French Language and Literatures, see Satisfactory Progress, French (revised September 2013)
- MA and PhD programs in Hispanic Language and Literatures, see Satisfactory Progress, Spanish (revised September 2013)
Department Forms and Documents
- Department form for Directed Study
Prior to registering for a Directed Study, please review the GRS policies on Directed Study courses.
- FY17 Travel Request Form
For Academic Year 2016/2017, the deadline to submit your travel fund requests is TBA.
Online Resources from the Graduate School
- Graduate School of Arts & Sciences Financial Aid
- Click on “Aid for PhD Students” for more information about Graduate Research Abroad Fellowships (GRAF) and GSO travel grants
- Graduate School of Arts & Sciences PhD Dissertation and Graduation Procedures
- Includes the PhD Graduation Calendar and links to GRS forms
- Graduate School of Arts & Sciences MA Graduation Procedures
- Includes the MA Graduation Calendar and links to GRS forms
Online Resources from the Registrar’s Office
Fellowship, Award, and Grant Opportunities
- Boston University Center for the Humanities (BUCH) Graduate Student Award and Graduate Student Dissertation Fellowship
- Deadline: TBA for the Academic Year 2017/2018
- Geddes Language Center Mini-Grants
- TF and other graduate students who work in partnership with a full-time faculty member are encouraged to apply.
- Funding Opportunities for Dissertation Students in Romance Studies
- These are mostly external funding opportunities
Calls for Papers and Off-Campus Events
Further Resources for Professional Development
- The Chronicle of Higher Education The department has a subscription; please see a department administrator for username and password information.
- The MLA Individual members can now search the combined Job Information List using their member IDs and password. Department membership and login information is available from a department administrator.