Sarai Garcia Presents at IRSCL

Photo of Sarai Garcia at IRSCLSarai Garcia, a doctoral student in our Hispanic Language & Literatures program, presented this August at the 24th biennial congress of the International Research Society for Children’s Literature.

Sarai relates her experience:

At the 24th Biennial Congress of the International Research Society for Children’s Literature in Stockholm, Sweden, I presented my paper, “The Sounds and Utopias of the Mexican Children’s Avant-Garde,” in the framework of a panel focused on the role of institutions shaping childhood in different latitudes. My paper explored the relationship of the Mexican avant-garde and their technologized vision of the country, within the context of post-revolutionary Mexico. This specific context was a time when nationalism, linked to a wider cultural tendency towards integration and citizenship, promoted the creation of viable child subjects for the nation.

Presenting at this conference was undoubtedly a nourishing and fulfilling experience, one which provided me the opportunity to listen to and dialogue with renowned scholars in the field. Similarly, I was able to learn from other perspectives and contrasting realities abroad more about how to understand or rethink childhood from our contemporaneity.