Educational Resource Center

Two Ways to Email Your TF a Ques: One’s Right

March 19, 2014

The way you choose to communicate with your TF makes a huge impression and can set the tone for your relationship. Let’s imagine that you’d really like to schedule a meeting in order to go over some material you’ve missed, but your schedule doesn’t line up with your TF’s office hours. Here’s an example of what not to do:

“Hey,

I missed class this a.m. & really need to catch up before Friday’s exam. I can’t make your office hours, can you meet me this afternoon?

- Jane”

Now, here’s how you should phrase it, because this is polite and provides your TF with useful information about you:

“Dear Sarah,

This is John Smith. I’m in your Wednesday morning discussion section. Unfortunately, I had to miss class this morning and was hoping we could meet in order to discuss the material I missed. My schedule conflicts with your office hours and I was wondering if you’d be available to meet with me at a different time. I know you’re very busy, but I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much!”

Hello, new Terriers! We’re so excited to welcome you to the BU Family! Check out the ERC blog for new posts every Monday! #StudySmarter

Career Development Cycle