Personal Protective Equipment
When selecting the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) in your work area, first identify the type of hazards you’ll be working with.
- Are there chemical, biological, or radiological hazards present?
- Are there splash or vapor hazards?
- Are there unique PPE fit factors that need to be considered?
- Will you be working in a location that is very hot or very cold?
- Is there a need for impact protection or fall protection?
No particular type of personal protective equipment (PPE) is correct for every task; therefore, it is best to consult with experts. Use the NIOSH PPE selector to help determine what type of PPE you should use.