Yenching Academy Scholarship
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Yenching Academy of Peking University builds bridges between China and the rest of the world through an interdisciplinary master’s program in China Studies for outstanding graduates from all over the globe. This initiative brings together young people who show promise to lead and innovate in their fields in an intensive learning environment where they can explore China and its role in the world – past, present, and future. The Academy aims to thereby shape a new generation of global citizens with a nuanced understanding of China and its role in the world. The scholarship provides full tuition plus a generous stipend to cover travel and living expenses for a 1-year Masters program in China Studies.
Founded on the ideal of fostering global connections and dialogue, the Yenching Academy is a fully funded residential program offering a wide array of interdisciplinary courses on China within broadly defined fields of the Humanities and Social Sciences. Working closely with their academic mentors, Yenching Scholars are granted the flexibility to create their own study paths by choosing from six academic concentrations and a variety of extracurricular activities. Studying at the Academy represents a unique opportunity not only for intercultural exchange and interdisciplinary learning, but also for personal and professional development.
- U.S. citizenship is not required for this fellowship. Open to international students.
- Graduating seniors and new alums up to age 25. (You must be age 25 or younger in the year in which you accept the fellowship.)
- Bachelor’s degree before the start of their fellowship year. If currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program, the degree must be awarded before August 31 of the year in which applicant wishes to enroll in Yenching Scholarship Program (Ex: if applying for a Fall 2021 start, Bachelor’s must be completed by August 31, 2021).
- No minimum GPA, but most successfully applicants will have 3.7+ as well as significant co-curricular achievements.
- All majors or degrees are welcome to apply
Candidates will be selected based on their record of academics, leadership, and their commitment to service and fostering cultural understanding with a history of extracurricular achievement, community engagement, and social responsibility. Candidates should be able to articulate clear reasons for seeking an interdisciplinary degree in Chinese studies.
Candidates apply directly through Yenching Academy’s online application portal. Please note that those from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan will also need to apply through the Peking University Graduate Admissions website by early December.
Each applicant will create an account on the Yenching Academy admissions portal and submit the following materials:
- Completed online application form;
- Personal statement (750 words or less);
- Research Proposal (maximum one page);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Official transcript(s);
- Diploma(s) or Certificate(s) of Enrollment
- Two letters of recommendation;
- International English proficiency test score (at least IELTS Academic 7/TOEFL 100/Cambridge 185/CEFR C1).*
* Native English speakers and students/alumni of primarily English-taught degree programs are not required to provide English proficiency test scores.
Interested candidates will apply directly to Yenching Academy by the December 4, 2020 national deadline.