About the Program
To provide undergraduates (freshman to seniors) and novice (community college) students majoring in or with an interest in Mechanical, Biomedical, Electrical & Computer, and Materials Science Engineering with an opportunity to actively participate in cutting-edge summer research projects.
Hands-on laboratory research in a variety or engineering faculty laboratories, the cleanroom experience in state of the art shared facilities at the Photonics Center, Brown Bag seminars, laboratory group meetings, shared seminars with other undergraduate summer researchers and presentation opportunities during the summer. Summer wrap-up with a research poster session.
The Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program supports active research participation from undergraduates (rising freshman to rising seniors) and community college students. This particular site has three thematic research areas will serve as the foundation for this REU Site:
- Materials synthesis and characterization for nanotechnolgy applications
- Nanofabrication techniques that combine optical and electronic structures
- Integration of nanosystems that generate, sense, and manipulate
Students will participate in mentored discovery, engineering of new devices, and fabrication at the nanoscale level to explore optical and integrated nano-scale systems, while developing critical skills, awareness and confidence necessary to advance in academics and research in the future.
NOTE: Student participants in either REU Sites or REU Supplements must be U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or permanent residents of the United States.
• $5,500 stipend
• Free on-campus housing provided as needed
• Partial travel reimbursement up to a minimum of $300
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Current freshman, sophomore, or junior at four-year colleges or students currently enrolled at community colleges
- Women and underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply
- Veterans of the U.S. Armed Services are also strongly encouraged to apply