Certified mail service—for Domestic First Class Mail only—provides you with a mailing receipt for your letter or package. A return receipt—to provide you with proof of delivery—can be obtained for an additional fee. No insurance coverage is provided. A numbered label and completed receipt must be affixed to the mailed item.
The Registered Mail system is designed to provide added protection for valuable mail by monitoring the mail from acceptance to delivery. Registered mail is the most secure mail the U.S. Postal Service offers. Maximum postal insurance liability is $25,000.
Business Reply Mail
The United States Postal Service has strict preparation requirements for Business Reply Mail. When you decide to design any business reply envelope or card, call Bulk Mail at 617-353-9724 for the proper format. The advantage to using Business Reply Mail is that postage is paid only for those replies which are returned. All Business Reply postage and handling charges are billed back to their appropriate departments.
Federal Express (FedEx)
Boston University shares a unique partnership with FedEx. User departments enjoy discounts on most shipments (exceptions are Freight, Same-Day Service, and First Overnight). Discounts range anywhere from 45% to 58% depending on service requested and shipment destination.
Mail Services also downloads FedEx invoices for express shipments which are paid online. In most cases, invoices are paid within three days. Exceptions to downloaded invoices are: Freight, Same-Day Service, First Overnight, and Ground. Invoices for these services are sent through the mail and are paid manually.
If you are interested in setting up an account, please contact Patrick Ring 617-353-2156, or email email@example.com. Information required is: department name and address; unit and department chargeback information and source code, where applicable; and type of supplies needed.
FedEx Drop Box locations at the Charles River Campus
- FedEx Office Print & Ship Center, 115 Cummington Street; tel: 617-358-2679
- 1010 Commonwealth Avenue, curbside
- 881 Commonwealth Avenue, curbside
- Corner of St. Paul Street and 890 Commonwealth Avenue at WBUR
- 775 Commonwealth Avenue, curbside—next to USPS Mailbox
- Corner of 675 Commonwealth Avenue and Granby Street, curbside
- Corner of Cummington Street and Hinsdale Street, curbside
- 590 Commonwealth Avenue, curbside—next to USPS Mailbox
- 15 Deerfield Street at U.S. Post Office—Kenmore Branch
FedEx Drop Box locations at the Medical Campus
- FedEx Office Print & Copy Center, 700 Albany Street; tel: 617-414-2679
- 72 East Concord Street, In drive between Evans and Solomon Carter Fuller Building
- 88 East Newton Street, Front Lobby
- 700 Albany Street, Front Lobby
- Crosstown Center, 801 Massachusetts Avenue
- BMC—Menino Pavilion, 840 Harrison Avenue
- 85 East Concord Street, Front Lobby