Hub Cocurricular Experiences
The Value and Impact of Experiential Learning
For many BU students, experiential learning can be as important to their education as coursework. The BU Hub recognizes the value and impact of learning that happens outside of classroom settings by offering students opportunities to participate in cocurricular experiences that combine activities, discussion, reflection, and related assignments. In this innovative part of the Hub, students can take part in cocurricular activities while fulfilling a Hub requirement.
The Hub Cocurricular Experience
Hub cocurriculars are open to all BU undergraduates and are optional. They are 0-credit, ungraded experiences that combine hands-on activities, discussion, and reflection and fulfill 1 Hub requirement.
As part of the experience, Hub cocurriculars:
- Involve around 3 hours of activity, discussion, and reflection per week
- Focus on particular Hub areas, including The Individual in Community, Global Citizenship and Intercultural Literacy, Teamwork/Collaboration, and Creativity/Innovation
- Are led by BU staff and faculty
- Produce tangible work, including a significant, culminating reflection on the experience
- May include opportunities to discuss the cocurricular experience with the BU community and to publicly display related projects, artistic productions, and reflections
Students can register for Hub cocurriculars on the MyBU Student Portal as they would for a class. Course numbers for most Hub cocurriculars begin with “HUB CC.”
Click here to view a listing of Hub cocurriculars.
How Hub Cocurriculars Work With Your Hub Requirements
Entering first-year students can fulfill up to 2 of their total Hub requirements through Hub cocurriculars. Transfer students can elect to fulfill up to 1 Hub requirement with a Hub cocurricular experience.
If a student successfully completes a Hub cocurricular, they will fulfill the Hub requirement associated with that experience and receive a “P” on the transcript, while students who do not complete the experience will be withdrawn.
While students can enroll in multiple Hub cocurriculars (i.e., Hub cocurriculars with different course numbers), Hub cocurriculars are not repeatable for additional Hub requirements.
If you wish to learn more about Hub cocurriculars or have specific questions about them, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.