Pastry Arts 1 Online
Are you obsessed with The Great British Baking Show? Do you often find yourself searching for the best pastries when you travel, or scouring countless cookbooks for the perfect recipe? Then this online, intensive baking course is for you. Join Pastry Chef Janine Sciarappa as she cuts through all the mystery of the art of pastry making. She will share with you all of her tips and tricks to make the most show-stopping, Instagram-worthy pastries, all from the comfort of your own home. You won’t want to miss this opportunity to study with an experienced pastry chef. Chef Sciarappa is the core chef instructor in baking for Boston University’s Certificate Program in Culinary Arts, with over twenty years’ experience in high-end, professional baking.
How much does it cost?
When do classes meet?
On your schedule! Students will have access to the Blackboard course site, where they can review the week’s videos and recipes at their own pace. This exclusively online, self-paced class gives you exclusive access to:
This exclusively online, self-paced class gives you exclusive access to:
- Instructional online videos tailored and filmed specifically for this program,
- A unique library of pastry lectures,
- Weekly, one-on-one meetings with the chef instructor, where you will review your process from the week, get help correcting your mistakes, constructive feedback, and answers to all your questions.
What is the approximate time commitment per week?
Watching videos, taking notes: 2 hours
Weekly food shopping: 1 hour
Active baking time: 3-5 hours
What is the curriculum?
Topics covered include:
- The proper way to measure ingredients accurately to ensure your baked goods are a success each time you make them.
- The proper use and functions of ingredients, along with the science of how baking works. (Once you know how ingredients function, you can correct your mistakes.)
- Cookies: pastry-shop favorites including piped sablés, the crunchy and sweet brutti ma buoni and chocolate fleur de sel sablés.
- Meringues: learn to turn French and Swiss meringues into pavlovas, chocolate mousse, and Buttercream.
- Custards: prepare the classic crème caramel, panna cotta, clafoutis, lemon curd, and pastry Cream.
- Pate a choux: the magical preparation that makes gorgeous profiteroles, eclairs, Paris-Brest, Religieuse, and more.
How do I access the course material?
Course materials are hosted on Blackboard at https://learn.bu.edu. After your registration is complete, you will receive an email from Information Services and Technology with instructions on how to establish your BU account. (You may need to check your spam folder for this email.) Once you have established your BU account, you will be able to access the Blackboard course site.
What is the refund policy?
A full refund is available up to one week before the class starts. After that, there are no refunds. However, you can transfer your enrollment to another person.
Please contact email@example.com with any additional questions.