Assistant Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion
Bringing national and global experience in creating systemic change to Boston University, Jin In is the Assistant Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion. As an integral member of the SDO team, In assists the Senior Diversity Officer in overseeing the work of the University’s Community Safety Advisory Group and Antiracism Working Group. She also serves as the central resource for diversity and inclusion data across the University.
Eastern born, western bred, In’s commitment to equity and inclusion stems from her personal story. Born into one of the wealthiest families — but in an underdeveloped country with no rights or protection for women — poverty became her new reality at seven months when her father unexpectedly died. South Korea, then, entrenched in systemic and systematic inequity and discrimination, her mother immigrated them to the United States. There, Jin met her childhood mentor who taught her — through community service and social justice action — that an eight-year-old immigrant from a poor country, raised by a widow, can change the world.
With expertise in empowerment and the next generation of female changemakers, In has worked with both Democratic and Republican administrations, Departments of State, Defense, and Homeland Security, UN Agencies, global and grassroots organizations in 145 countries, serving over 10 million girls, particularly in world’s poorest communities. She also founded For Girls GLocal Leadership (4GGL), collecting the first-ever global data on young women’s empowerment to drive equality and social change. In her free time, Jin enjoys baking, salsa dancing, and sky diving.
- Founder, 4GIRLS GLOCAL LEADERSHIP (4GGL)
- Independent Consultant, Speaker & Lecturer
- Global Action Director & Delegate to UN ECOSOC, Girl Scouts USA & World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts
- Girls & Young Women’s Health Advisor, Office of the Secretary, Office on Women’s Health Divisions of Policy and Communication, US Department of Health & Human Services
- Research Associate, National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health & Department of OB-GYN and Reproductive Sciences, University of California San Francisco
- Continuing & Professional Studies in Global Affairs, New York University
- Master of Public Health, University of California Berkeley
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics & Pre-Med, Trinity University
SERVICE & LEADERSHIP
- GLOCAL Committee Co-Chair, U.S. Civil Society Working group on Women, Peace, and Security & U.S. National Action Plan on UN Security Council Resolution 1325
- Leadership Team Member, National Museum and Center for Service
- Women’s Leadership Committee for Presidential Candidate Barack Obama