Emeritus Professor of General Dentistry
- Title Emeritus Professor of General Dentistry
- Office Robinson
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 617-358-8777
- Education DDS, MPH, University of North Carolina
DScD, Boston University
Dr. Jones is professor and Assistant Dean for Faculty Development. Dr. Jones served three years in the U.S. Public Health Services from 1980 to 1983 and then joined the VA-Bedford in 1983. She completed a Dentist-Geriatric Fellowship Program with the VA and the Harvard School of Dental Medicine in 1985, and directed the VA Geriatric Fellowship Program (1985–1992), the Geriatric Dental Program (1985–1994), and served as chief of the Dental Service from 1994–1998. She was awarded the VA Career Development Award in Health Services Research (1998–2001) and served as head of the Outcomes Section at the VA Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research from 2001 to 2003, when she retired from federal service. At Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine, she was an adjunct assistant professor of periodontology and oral biology from 1990 to 1998, associate professor of health policy and health services research and later general dentistry from 1999 to 2005, and was promoted to professor of general dentistry in November of 2005. In 2007, she received the Distinguished Scientist Award in Geriatric Oral Research from the International Association for Dental Research and in 2009 she received the American Dental Education Association’s Gies Award for Outstanding Innovation for a Dental Educator.
Over the past two decades Dr. Jones has made significant contributions to the state of the knowledge about long-term oral health care, measuring oral health outcomes from patients’ perspectives, and the relationship between oral and systemic diseases.
PI, Oral Quality of Life in children and adolescents, NIH U54 DE 14264-5, Northeast Center for Research on Evaluating and Eliminating Dental Disparities
PI, K24DE018211 Oral Health-Related Quality of Life in Children and their Families: $935,568
Investigator, VA Health Services Research & Development IAA 06-217, Improving Dental Decision Making for Root Canal Therapy: Part 1, Retrospective Data Analysis
PI, R21 HS019527-01: Fluoride Effectiveness in Prevention of Dental Caries in High Caries Risk Adults: $377,655
1. W.G. Wright, J.A. Jones, A. Spiro III., S. E. Rich, N. R. Kressin. Use of patient self-report oral health outcome measures in assessment of dental treatment outcomes. J Pub Health Dent 2009; 69: 95–103.
2. J. J. Crall, E. R. Hewlett, J. A. Friedman, A. K. Mascarenhas, S. Freilich, M. Henshaw, J. A. Jones, M. Mann, S. Frankl. The Pipeline program at Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine. J Dent Educ. 2009 Feb; 73(2 Suppl):S58-68; discussion S68–9.
3. D. Cunnion, C. Papageorgieu, J. A. Jones, A. Spiro III, S. E. Rich, A. Tate, P. Casamassimo, C. Hayes, R. I. Garcia. Quality of Life of Children Improves After Treatment of ECC. Journal of Dentistry for Children 2010; 77(1): 4–11.
4. M. Qvarnstrom, S. J. Janket, J. A. Jones, K. Jethwani, P. Nuutinen, R. I. Garcia, A. E. Baird, T. E. Van Dyke, J. H. Meurman. Association of salivary lysozyme and C-reactive protein with metabolic syndrome. J Clin Periodontol 2010; 37:805–11.
5. M. M. D’Amore, D. M. Cheng, N. R. Kressin, J. Jones, J. H. Samet, M. Winter, T. W. Kim, R. Saitz. Oral health of substance dependent individuals: impact of specific substances. J Subs Abuse Treatment. 2011; 41(2): 179–185.
6. G. Gibson, M. Jurasic, C. Wehler, J. A. Jones. Supplemental Fluoride Use for Moderate and High Caries Risk Adults: A Systematic Review. J Pub Health Dent. 2011; 71:171–184.
7. N. Huntington, D. Spetter, J. A. Jones, S. E. Rich, R. I. Garcia, A. Spiro III. Development and validation of a measure of pediatric oral health-related quality of life: the POQL. J Pub Health Dent. 2011; 71:185–93.
8. S. O. Griffin, J. A. Jones, D. Brunson, P. Griffin, W. D. Bailey. Burden of Oral Disease among Older Adults and Implications for Public Health Priorities. In press, AJPH 2011.