Incident and Claims Reporting Procedures

Accidents happen and when they do, it is important that Risk Management is notified of the injury, accident, or damage as soon as possible.

In the event of an accident or injury, please ensure that appropriate medical care is requested immediately. In an emergency, please contact BUPD at 617-353-2121 for an immediate police response.

For quick-access, please use the links to jump to the appropriate topic:

Non-employee injury

Employee injury

Automobile Accident

Property Damage


Non-employee injury

Please complete and submit the Incident Report to


Employee injury

Please contact


Automobile Accident

For an accident that does not involve one of BU’s owned vehicles, please complete and submit the Vehicle Accident Report to

For an accident involving one of BU’s owned vehicles, our fleet management vendor, Holman, will aid in documenting the accident as well as coordinating repairs to the vehicle.

When contacting Holman please have the following details available:

  • Client Code (5GV8)
  • Holman Vehicle Number
  • Current odometer reading

Accident Management: In the event of an accident, the driver should call 1–800–CAR-CARE (227-2273) and a certified Holman Claims Technician will take a comprehensive report of the incident and ensure the driver is safe.

  • The driver should be ready with their client code (5GV8) and vehicle number.
  • Replacement Transportation: The Holman Technician will arrange an equivalent vehicle rental per University parameters.
  • Repair Facility: Holman Technician will arrange repairs to be completed at a local in-network repair shop. Holman will monitor repair and arrange payment to the shop directly.

Roadside Assistance:

  • The driver should call 1–800–CAR-CARE (227-2273).
  • Technicians are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
  • Holman will ensure driver safety and arrange a tow for the disabled vehicle to a preferred, in-network repair shop.
  • For replacement transportation, please notify Holman Technician during the roadside assistance phone call.


Property Damage

Boston University’s property insurance program insures against losses to real and personal property, e.g., owned buildings, machinery & equipment, fixtures, furniture, stock & inventory.

Boston University’s property insurance provides broad coverage, however, there are certain exclusions.

What is NOT covered?

  • Damage caused by wear and tear or lack of maintenance
  • Faulty workmanship or defect
  • Mysterious disappearance of property
  • Damage to buildings because of normal settling, cracking, shrinking, or expansion
  • Personal property of employees unless required as a condition of employment
  • Mold damage
  • Loss of money or cash
  • Intellectual property

This is a partial list.  Consult Risk Management for further details.

When an accident damages University-owned property, please complete the following:

  1. Complete a Property Damage Claim Form and submit to
  2. Provide Backup Documentation of the investigation (e.g., Police Report, Fire Report, Witness Statements, Manufacturer information, Contractor information)
  3. Take Photos and/or video of damage and cause of damage.
  4. Do NOT discard damaged items until you consult with Risk Management

All losses should be reported to Risk Management immediately and no later than 24 hours after the event by emailing the completed Property Damage Claim Form to Damaged items should be repaired or replaced within 90 days of the loss event.

Damage to department property is subject to a $5,000 deductible, per accident. After the deductible, Risk Management will reimburse for the lesser of:

  • the replacement cost of an item that is of like, kind & quality or its functional equivalent to the damaged item             – OR –
  • the cost to repair an item to its pre-loss condition

BU’s property insurance does NOT reimburse for damage to personal property of students or employees. Damage to personal property of students or employees should be reported to the individual’s personal insurance provider.