BUCLD Code of Conduct
- verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, and/or nationality
- sexual images in public spaces
- deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- harassing photography or recording
- sustained disruption of talks or other events
- inappropriate physical contact
- unwelcome sexual attention
- advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the BUCLD organizers may take any action they deem appropriate to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender, expelling them from the conference with no refund, and banning them from the conference in the future. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
- You can make an anonymous report through our online form: https://bucld.wufoo.com/forms/zcuymsl1esu7xa/. Although we cannot follow up on an anonymous report with you directly, we will fully investigate it and take whatever action is necessary to prevent a recurrence.
- You can also speak directly with any member of the BUCLD organizing committee at the conference. These individuals, including the BUCLD faculty advisors (Charles Chang, Paul Hagstrom, and Amy Lieberman), will be wearing special name badges. When taking a personal report, we will ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard (this may involve other event staff to ensure your report is managed properly). Once safe, we will ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we will handle it as respectfully as possible, and you can bring someone to support you. You will not be asked to confront anyone, and we will not tell anyone who you are.
Additionally, BUCLD staff will be happy to help conference participants contact venue management or local law enforcement, to provide escorts, or to otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the conference. We value your attendance, and wish everyone a stimulating and enjoyable conference.