Experience A Possible Career
The benefits of doing an internship or externship experience are invaluable. These opportunities not only give you real-world experience, but they also show employers that you have a passion for a particular job field and the initiative to make sure it’s a good fit.
- Browse our current list of open internships
- Review the Internship Guidelines
- Prepare Your Application (allow at least 2 weeks)
- Apply (by filling out information below)
Business & Administration
- Mentoring Circles Coordinator: Higher Ed, Networking
- Outcome Capital Internship: Investment Banking
- Research Administrator Intern: Grants, Contracts & Research Operations
- GMS Social Media Intern: Summarizing GMS science for Blog Posts.
- Career Exploration Panels; Writing Internship: Summarizing Career Panels and Writing Blog Posts.
- Diversity at BUSM: Fix the Pipeline!
- Masters Thesis Mentor: Refine Your Mentoring Skills
- Clinical Trials Office Internship: Gaining knowledge in Clinical Trial Management
- Lecturer in Neoplasia: Graduate-level Course
- Lecturer in Cell Biology: Graduate-level Course
- Practicing Educational Skills in Biochemistry: Prepare exam questions for PA Program
Opportunities are coordinated through the BU’s BEST office and will be listed on this web site and in BU’s BEST newsletters as they become available.
Additional Internships (Not coordinated by BU’s BEST)
Business & Administration
At the time of application the applicant must be at least a 4th year bio-medical doctoral student (post-qualifying exam) or postdoctoral research scientist conducting bio-medical research at Boston University.
- Attend the pre-internship workshops or view previously recorded workshops
- Workshops include: Professionalism 101, Intellectual Property: What YOU Should Know, Communication, Managing Up
- When applicable, attend the experience-specific workshops described in the Experience application.
- Have all required compliance approvals and/or certificates
- A completed IDP on file in BU’s BEST office (myIDP or BU IDP)
- For graduate students, have satisfactory academic performance defined by PI sign off
To apply for an internship, an applicant should fill out the application. You will be asked to upload the following documents as a single pdf file with your name in the file-name to the end of the application.
- Approval Form signed by PI, including confirmation of satisfactory academic performance for graduate students
- Tailored one or two page resume (example resume). You can have your resume reviewed before the application by Lauren Celano (schedule a time).
- Summary page of a personality assessment (free Myers-Briggs test)
- Pre-internship Evaluation
Candidates will be selected based upon the EXPERIENCE site requirements. Qualified applicants will receive an interview with BU’s BEST leadership. BU’s BEST will present qualified applicants to the EXPERIENCE site. The EXPERIENCE site will make the final decision.
Requirements to Maintain the EXPERIENCE
- Fulfill the PI agreement
- Fulfill all duties assigned in the Experience site
- Mid-term and Post-internship evaluation that includes an evaluation of all learning objectives and EXPERIENCE site
- All internship and externship participants will give a presentation/participate in a panel to their peers and BU’s BEST leadership to give feedback about the EXPERIENCE
- The EXPERIENCE site will also be surveyed midterm and at the end of the EXPERIENCE