Non-Degree Students

Boston University officially allows students from other colleges/universities to participate in BU Music Ensembles, as long as your school does not have a similar ensemble.

Non-BU students who wish to participate in the BU Bands program must do so by registering as “non-degree students.” This will officially put you on your chosen ensemble’s BU class roster and provide you with access to the Band Room, etc.

First Time Non-Degree Students

For first time Non-Degree students to participate in the BU Bands program, you must:

  • not have a similar ensemble available to you at your college/university.
  • be 18 years or older by the first scheduled activity.
  • Fill out the Non-Degree Application ASAP (Applications are due at least two weeks prior to the first ensemble activity).

Under “Course Information (Course Desired),” enter the following info.

Course College Program Course Number Section: Semester
for Winter Drumline CFA MU 087 A1 Spring
for Winter Guard CFA MU 088 A1 Spring
for Marching Band CFA MU 091 A1 Fall
for Concert Band CFA MU 092 A1 Fall & Spring
for Pep Band CFA MU 093 A1 Fall & Spring
for All-Campus Orchestra CFA MU 097 A1 Fall & Spring
for Symphonic Chorus CFA MU 099 A1 Fall & Spring


Returning Non-Degree Students

For returning non-degree student you can sign up for the course though the myBU. If you are unsure which course to sign up for please visit our Course Registration Information page.

If you have any questions, please contact the Bands Office (

Terrier Card Information (To be completed prior to Band Camp)

Step 1: (skip to step 2 if already complete)
Register as a non-degree student at BU which can be done here. In the event you do not have an unofficial transcript, upload any document that proves your enrollment at your current institution. 
Step 2:
Make sure that you have set up a BU Kerberos password. This will be necessary to access all of the information below. You should have received special instructions from the registrar on how to complete this. If you cannot find these instructions, please submit a help request here.
Step 3:
Visit to learn how to upload a photo to “Student Link” for your Terrier Card. Once you submit your photo, you will be able to pick up your Terrier Card from the BU Housing Office – 25 Buick St, Boston, MA 02215. This will allow you access to the band building and swipe for meals during band camp.