The Boston University Scarlet Band is a select ensemble that performs during the summer on the BU campus and around Boston. The main purpose of the Scarlet Band is to serve as the “house-band” for the University by performing at each New Student Orientation held throughout June, July, August, and January (Winter Orientation), and to represent the music-making opportunities available at BU to incoming students.
Eligibility & Sign Up
The Scarlet Band is an audition based ensemble. To audition, you must be a performer in a BU Bands ensemble for at least one whole semester during this academic year. You must also plan on being an enrolled student at BU in the fall semester after your summer Scarlet Band experience (Scarlet Band is not open to graduating seniors).
We highly encourage ALL that are eligible to audition! No matter if you are inexperienced or simply unsure if you can participate over the summer, come play for us – it is a healthy part of being a musician!!
Visit the “Scarlet Band Audition Information” page to learn about how to sign up and audition!
Details & Benefits of Performing with the Scarlet Band
- Members of the Scarlet Band can receive FREE housing on campus for the entire summer if needed
- There are a few weeks completely free of performance and rehearsal commitment in May and August (for vacation)
- Rehearsals are one evening a week in June and July
- Performances occur two days a week through June and the last two weeks of August – Click to view the Calendar.
- The Scarlet Band plays a vast array of musical styles, and the experience is both challenging and enjoyable
- Members of the Scarlet Band can still work or attend summer classes around the manageable ensemble schedule
Scarlet Band Instrumentation
- Flute / Piccolo
- Alto Saxophone
- Tenor Saxophone
- Bari Saxophone
- Drum Set
- Percussion (i.e. hand drums, accessory instruments)
- Electric Guitar
- Bass Guitar
- Synthesizer / Keyboard