Minor in Visual Arts
The minor in Visual Arts is designed for students who want an introduction to the concepts and functions of the visual arts offered in a professional training program. Students will gain drawing experience and exposure to a variety of art forms and techniques.
The program consists of a 20-credit sequence of University elective art courses. The sequence must include either CFA AR 193 Visual Arts Drawing (4 cr) or CFA AR 131 Drawing 1 (4 cr). The remaining 16 credits are fulfilled with any Visual Arts courses (CFA AR). Courses that are recommended for Visual Arts minors include:
- CFA AR 123 A1 Fundamentals of Design* (2 cr)
- CFA AR 192 Intro to Drawing (2 cr)
- CFA AR 193 Visual Arts Drawing (4 cr)
- CFA AR 210 Digital Tools* (2 cr)
- CFA AR 236 Anatomy and Figure Drawing* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 238 Drawing Concepts* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 239 Figure Drawing* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 250 Introduction to Printmaking* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 251 Introduction to Printmaking* (2 cr)
- CFA AR 270 Bookmaking Techniques (2 cr)
- CFA AR 295 Visual Arts Painting (4 cr)
- CFA AR 344 Painting elective (4 cr)
- CFA AR 415 Photography 1* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 425 Artist and the Book* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 447 Printmaking: Etching and Monotype* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 448 Printmaking: Lithography and Relief* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 470 Ceramics 1* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 471 Ceramics 1* (2 cr)
- CFA AR 508 The Experimental Photograph* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 515 Digital Photography* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 518 Silkscreen Printmaking* (4 cr)
- CFA AR 521 Site Specific Art (4 cr)
- CFA AR 580 History of Graphic Design (4 cr)
- CFA AR 581 Web Design* (2 cr)
* Starred courses are those that become available to Visual Arts minors at the conclusion of the registration period (exact date will be listed each semester on the University Class Schedule).
Visual Arts courses other than those listed above may be available to minor students upon receiving faculty permission. All Summer Term visual arts courses can count toward the minor. Visual Arts courses in the Venice Studio Arts program offered by BU Study Abroad also count toward the minor.
A grade of C or better must be received in all courses taken toward this minor. With advisor approval, one transfer course or 4 transfer credits may be used to fulfill the minor requirements. For further information, contact the School of Visual Arts in the College of Fine Arts, Room 552, 855 Commonwealth Avenue.