Admissions for Graduate Studies in Statistics
To apply to study statistics with us at Boston University, you submit an application to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Application materials must be submitted directly to the Graduate School, not to our department. However, on the application please be sure to indicate that (i) you are applying for admission to the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, and (ii) that you wish to specialize in statistics/probability. You will need to chose either MA or PhD in Mathematics (for whichever you are applying) and then in the area of specialization write Statistics/Probability. Also, please note that the application fee must be paid in order for an application to be processed.
Fall semester admission: January 15
Spring semester admission: September 30
All required materials must be received at the graduate school by the deadline.
You may request Financial Aid from Boston University on the graduate application. Please note that almost all of our students begin their programs in the Fall semester and almost all of our financial aid is earmarked for applicants to the Department’s PhD program.
For US Citizens and Permanent Residents, information on additional possible federal sources of financial aid include the following.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Financial Aid Information from the Department of Education
Applications from prospective international students are required to include certain additional information, including an International Student Data Form and a copy of the personal information page from your current passport. For descriptions of these and other such requirements, please see the Graduate School webpage.
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Admissions decisions are typically completed by April 15 (fall semester admission) and December 1 (spring semester admission). Financial aid decisions are generally (but not always) made at the same time as admissions decisions. Due to the volume of applications received, we request that applicants do not inquire about their applications before these dates.
- Other questions: firstname.lastname@example.org