AN INNOVATIVE PART-TIME MSW PROGRAM DELIVERED ONLINE
The BUSSW Online MSW Program offers an innovative part-time format with majors in Clinical Practice or Macro Practice and 3 track options, ensuring that each student’s graduate program is tailored to his or her academic and professional experience. For those majoring in Clinical, this program enables you to become license eligible in your state of residence.
Students fulfill the requirements for the MSW degree by:
- Taking required and elective courses in a convenient online format, delivered asynchronously
- Attending weekly required Live Classroom sessions
- Completing 1 or 2 field internships (depending upon track) within or near their geographic area.
The curriculum at BUSSW emphasizes diversity, ethics, populations-at-risk, and social and economic justice, which is integrated throughout foundation and advanced MSW courses.
Visit the BU Bulletin for more detailed information on courses and requirements.
Online Program Structure
The part-time Online MSW Program can typically be completed in 6–9 consecutive semesters, depending on the track. Courses are taken sequentially, most lasting for 7 weeks.
|First Year:||Coursework with weekly required Live Classroom sessions|
|1 course at a time for 7 weeks; 2 courses per semester|
|Second/Third Year:||2 courses a semester; plus field internship(s)|
3 Options To Complete The MSW Degree:
- Traditional Track: Consists of 65 credits which can be completed in 3 years over 9 semesters (fall, spring, and summer). Students take foundation and advanced courses online, attend weekly required Live Classroom sessions held Sunday or Monday nights, and complete 2 field internships for a total of 1,200 hours in the field.
- Human Service Experience Track (HSE): Open to applicants with a minimum of 2 years of supervised human services experience. Consists of 65 credits which can be completed in 3 years over the course of 9 semesters (fall, spring, and summer). Students take foundation and advanced courses online, attend weekly required Live Classroom sessions held Sunday or Monday nights, and complete a single 1,000 hour field internship.
- Advanced Standing Track: Open to applicants with an undergraduate social work degree from an institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). The undergraduate social work degree must have been earned within 6 years of entry into the program. No additional transfer credits will be accepted toward the MSW degree. Consists of 43 credits (or 40 credits if the student passes the Research 1 Waiver Exam) which can be completed over 6 consecutive semesters. Students enroll in courses online, attend weekly required Live Classroom sessions held Sunday or Monday nights, and complete a single advanced 1,000-hour field internship.
Students are expected to complete the majority of their field internships during weekday business hours. Some agencies require or are able to offer limited evening and/or weekend hours.
|Traditional Track:||Students complete 2 field internships: 14 credits|
|480 hours in the Foundation placement; 720 hours in Advanced Placement|
|Human Services Experience Track:||Students complete a single, 1,000-hour field internship (12 credits) and a 2-credit field education capstone project|
|Advanced Standing Track:||Students complete a single, 1,000-hour (10 credits) field internship|
Our Field Education team has extensive experience placing students in the geographic areas in which they live, throughout the U.S.
Field internship support for online students is done through a collaborative effort that ensures each students’ learning needs are met. Those who are currently working in the social work field may be able to complete one of their two internships at their place of employment. The internship must be significantly different from the student’s current position, with supervision provided by a different and qualified supervisor. Once a student is enrolled, our dedicated team works individually with each student to evaluate the most appropriate field placement options.
Learn more about field education at BU School of Social Work.
As a student enrolled in the Online MSW Program, you’ll receive all the supports available to traditional School of Social Work students. Our online classes are small, with no more than 15 students per group. BU faculty members interact with students using a user-friendly web-based learning portal. Class content incorporates online lectures, simulations, videos, audio, interactive animations, discussion boards, and weekly Live Classroom sessions.
Members of BUSSW are readily available and committed to providing online students a high quality educational experience.
Online students at BUSSW access their courses through the Online Campus learning system. Coursework can be accessed online anytime, day or night. Students also enroll in weekly, required Live Classroom sessions that are held for 1 to 1.15 hours a week on Sunday and Monday evenings. Students register for these sessions in advance. You can view an online course demo here.
You can view the supports offered for online students by visiting the following webpages:
Applicants must be living within the 50 states at the time the program begins in order to participate. Those living in U.S. Territories, countries outside of the U.S., and military bases outside of the 50 states are ineligible for the Online MSW Program.
Boston University allows students to enroll in online programs regardless of immigration status. However, online students are not eligible for F-1 immigration sponsorship through Boston University, and the ISSO does not require an admissions file for online students.
Applicants living abroad may apply for the program, but must be living in one of the 50 states by the start of the program.
Have more questions about our online program?
Visit our frequently asked questions page to learn more.