Planned Electrical Shutdowns – Metcalf Science Center
[New Updates Below]
There will be a scheduled electrical shutdown that will affect the Metcalf Science Center (582-596 Commonwealth Avenue) beginning on Saturday, July 23rd at 10:00PM through Sunday, July 24th at 6:00AM. During this time, building access will be limited to construction and emergency personnel only.
This shutdown will be the first of three scheduled electrical interruptions, with the second shutdown scheduled for mid-late August, and a final test of the system in early September by the Boston Fire Department. The specific dates and times of the interruptions will be published when they are made available.
If you have any questions or concerns about this planned electrical shutdown, please contact the Project Manager.
New Updates 7/27/11
As part of the Fire Alarm upgrade project in the Metcalf Science Center, the contractor will test the newly installed alarm horn, speaker, and strobe devices. The test will take place on Friday, July 29th beginning at 5:00AM and will be completed prior to 7:00AM. During the shutdown, the fire alarm horns and strobes will sound for short durations. If the alarm sounds continuously for more than five minutes please follow the standard fire alarm evacuation procedures. Please let the Project Manager know if you have any questions or concerns.
New Updates 7/26/11
The University is in the process of completing the renovation of the Organic Chemistry Instructional labs on the 3rd floor of 590 Commonwealth Avenue for the upcoming Fall semester. In order to complete the final supply and exhaust air connections, we need to shut down the building ventilation system. Please review the proposed details below and respond with any potential issues the shutdown may cause no later than Wednesday, July 27 at 5:00pm so that accommodations can be arranged:
- The shutdown will include supply and exhaust air to 590-596 Commonwealth Avenue.
- The shutdown will not impact 582-588 Commonwealth Avenue (712 Beacon Street) ventilation.
- The shutdown will not impact the LACF located on the 4th floor of 590 Commonwealth Avenue.
- The shutdown will begin on Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 6:00PM
- Following the required curing time at the new connections, the building system will recover gradually and return to the pre-shutdown volume by 6:00PM on Sunday, August 1, 2011
- The shutdown will impact supply and return air to all fume hoods located within 590-596 Commonwealth Avenue.
We appreciate your assistance and patience as we complete the scheduled renovations in your building.