Where to Report a Concern
Boston University recognizes its obligation to employees and constituents to maintain the highest ethical standards. If you have reason to believe that violations of Boston University policy or improper conduct has occurred, you should report your concerns through any of the following mechanisms.
BU Ethics and Compliance Hotline
The University has established an anonymous reporting hotline, independently administered by an outside vendor EthicsPoint, to allow for anonymous and confidential reporting of activities that may involve improper conduct or violations of Boston University policies. All reports will be investigated promptly and discreetly by the University, receiving careful consideration with the objective of addressing any improper conduct or violation of University policy.
This hotline is not a substitute for, nor does it supersede, any existing reporting methods or protocols for handling concerns and complaints. If you would like to report your concern to Boston University directly and are uncertain how to begin, contact Compliance Services (firstname.lastname@example.org; 617-358-8090) for assistance.
Reporting to a Supervisor
You are encouraged to discuss any concerns directly with your supervisor, unit or department head, dean or senior leader responsible for your area.
Reporting Concerns Confidentially
Reporting to the Responsible Office
Consider contacting the individuals responsible for specific areas of compliance, which are identified in the Compliance Matrix.
Office/Source – Issue(s)
- Equal Opportunity Office – Harassment or discrimination
- Global Programs – Academic programs, research or travel abroad
- Human Resources – Employment issues
- Internal Audit – Financial, compliance or ethical issues
- Office of the General Counsel – Legal or ethical issues
- Office of the Provost – Academic affairs or student issues
- Office of Research Compliance – Research activities
- Office of the Treasurer – Financial issues
- Director Health Privacy and Compliance – Privacy of Health Information
- Compliance Services – Any compliance or ethical issue
COVID Non-Compliance Reports
Violations of COVID-19 safety precautions and policies should be reported to a 24-hour hotline (617-353-5050) or through an online form. These mechanisms should be used to report student non-compliance with University COVID-19 Protocols and Expectations.
Questions on where to report
- If you are uncertain whether to report or how to report a concern, contact Compliance Services.