Minor in Visual Arts
The minor in Visual Arts is designed for students who want an introduction to the concepts and functions of the visual arts offered in a professional training program. Students will gain drawing experience and exposure to a variety of art forms and techniques.
The program consists of 20 credits of Visual Arts courses (CFA AR).
A 4-credit drawing course is required for the Visual Arts minor. Students may choose between two options:
- CFA AR 193 Visual Arts Drawing (4 cr) is for students looking for a course at the beginning to intermediate level.
- CFA AR 131 Drawing I (4 cr) is the foundational course for the BFA programs in the School of Visual Arts, and may be taken by Visual Arts minors (on a space-available basis) with significant previous experience in studio art courses.
Visual Arts Electives
The remaining 16 credits are fulfilled with Visual Arts courses (CFA AR).
Courses that are available to Visual Arts minors include:
- CFA AR 123 Fundamentals of Design (2 cr)
- CFA AR 133 Introduction to Drawing (2 cr, summer only)
- CFA AR 136 Drawing and the Figure (4 cr, summer only)
- CFA AR 143 Introduction to Painting (2 cr, summer only)
- CFA AR 192 Intro to Drawing (2 cr)
- CFA AR 194 Mixed Media Drawing and Collage (4 cr)
- CFA AR 235 Drawing I (2 cr, summer only)
- CFA AR 236 Anatomy and Figure Drawing (4 cr)
- CFA AR 238 Drawing Concepts (4 cr)
- CFA AR 239 Figure Drawing (4 cr)
- CFA AR 243 Photography 1 (4 cr)
- CFA AR 250 Introduction to Printmaking (4 cr)
- CFA AR 251 Introduction to Printmaking (2 cr)
- CFA AR 270 Bookmaking Techniques (2 cr)
- CFA AR 295 Visual Arts Painting (4 cr)
- CFA AR 344 Painting elective (4 cr)
- CFA AR 369 Art, Community, and Social Engagement (4 cr)
- CFA AR 389 Graphic Design elective (4 cr, summer only)
- CFA AR 425 Artist and the Book (4 cr)
- CFA AR 431 Advanced Drawing (2 cr, summer only)
- CFA AR 447 Printmaking: Etching and Monotype (4 cr)
- CFA AR 448 Printmaking: Lithography and Relief (4 cr)
- CFA AR 470 Ceramics 1 (4 cr)
- CFA AR 471 Ceramics 1 (2 cr)
- CFA AR 508 The Experimental Photograph (4 cr)
- CFA AR 515 Digital Photography (4 cr)
- CFA AR 521 Site-Specific Art (4 cr)
- CFA AR 530 Design Ignites Change (4 cr, summer only)
- CFA AR 527 Drawing into Animation (4 cr)
- CFA AR 580 History of Graphic Design (4 cr)
In many of the above courses, a selected number of seats will be reserved for declared minors during the registration process. In other courses, seats will become available to members of the BU community, including minors, during cross-registration.
Visual Arts minors who have previous experience in studio art courses and are interested in taking courses other than those listed above can request permission to enroll from the instructor. Permission is granted on a space-available basis during cross-registration, and minors can contact the School of Visual Arts office for assistance with registration.
All Visual Arts courses offered during BU Summer Term can be applied toward the minor. Visual Arts courses in the Venice Studio Arts program offered by BU Study Abroad can also be applied toward the minor.
A grade of C or better must be received in all courses taken toward this minor. With advisor approval, one transfer course or 4 transfer credits may be used to fulfill the minor requirements. For further information, contact the School of Visual Arts in the College of Fine Arts, Room 552, 855 Commonwealth Avenue.